We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Topic
One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Staying at the Boxer Hotel

Wake up and take the T to Harvard(just walking around to look at campus)

Take T to MIT( also just to walkaround)

Take the T to Beacon Hill to stroll along some of the streets

Start the Freedom Trail in Boston Common

Eat lunch at Sam Lagrassas

Continue on Freedom Trail

Grab a bakery snack at Mikes Pastry

Finish up the Freedom Trail

Dinner at Legal Seafood on State Street at 7:30

Is this doable?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

If you start at 7 in the morning. You're planning to MIT, Harvard and I presume Harvard Square. Then go back to Boston on the T and do a tour of Beacon Hill. Oh, and then start the Freedom Tour. All before lunch!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

do you think getting all that done in one day is reasonable?

I was thinking we'd travel to Harvard and Harvard Square and then grab a late breakfast around 10. Then head to MIT. I figured we'd get to Lagrassas by 2 for lunch.

Possible?

3. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 11:39
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

No, I don't think you can fit it all in while actually enjoying what you are doing.

A lot depends on how you "do" the freedom trail. It is about 2.5 miles so theoretically you can walk the distance in an hour and tick of the sites as you pass by. . But you won't see much

Do you plan to go into any indoor venues? if yes, do you look in detail, see all the exhibits and read every description or just take a quick look around? Most of the sites close at 5 and you are planning lunch at 2 pretty near the start.

So, say an hour for lunch and that gives you two hours to do all the rest, including a snack. Although you could save the bakery until after dinner.

Some people spend a couple of hours and others 2 days doing the freedom trail. Most fall somewhere in between.

What time of year and day of week will you do this? In the winter, some sites are not opened every day. And Sam LaGrassa's is only opened M-F.

Happy Planning!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 11:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Ok, I can see starting early, getting to Harvard and looking around a bit. The MIT part is tricky. If you want to see the infinite corridor building, the one most identifiable as MIT, that's not right at Kendall/MIT. It's a little walk. You'd also want to see the River while you're there, right? Is all this, what, 7-10am? No time for sit down breakfast, more like a muffin and coffee, unless you start earlier. Harvard, 7-8. MIT 8:15-10, back on the platform at 10.

If you got back on the T to Charles, you could walk through Beacon Hill to the Common. I'm with you so far, 10:15-1130. Stop in Freedom Trail visitors' center. Have your lunch ...

This is where it gets tricky. A fancy lunch takes time. If you get out of there at 2, how much of the Freedom Trail can you do and be back to Legal's by 7:30?

It sounds fine if you're really not that interested in the Freedom Trail or are ok picking and choosing what to stop to see.

I say go for it, but it will mean keeping your eye on time and rushing past a lot of things.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 12:35
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Thanks for all the input. We're really not tour people.We just enjoy nice long walks and enjoying the scenary. Even when we go to colleges we just like to grab a coffee somewhere and visit the bookstore to pickup a shirt or mug. I figured the Freedom Trail would be a nice walk to see the city but we don't plan on staying in any place for any considerable amount of time. Maybe I need to rethink Sam Lagrassas(is it really worth it?) and maybe make dinner reservations a little earlier and hit the bakery afterwards like one poster said. We're only going to be in Boston for one full day so I figured we want to see as much as possible during that time. We plan on coming back and spending more time in the future. I didn't know the Freedom Trail sites close at 5pm. Good to know. We're going to be there on saturday April 26th. Thanks for all the comments.

Eric

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Sam LaGrassa' s is not opened on Saturday or Sunday, so you really have no choice but to rethink that. And Mike's Pastry is opened until 10 or 11, so you should have plenty of time, even if you eat at 7:30.

I am a fan of Legal Seafoods, but you might consider dinner in the north end. There is lots of seafood there, if that is what you are looming for.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Given that you "just enjoy nice long walks and enjoying the scenery", your general itinerary is totally doable. You will need to be more flexible about where you have lunch, because you might find yourself spending more time at one place, less time at another, etc.

I think you have plenty of time for the freedom trail ASSUMING: 1) you don't go into Charlestown (Old Ironsides) and 2) you don't go into most or maybe any of the interior exhibits. Maybe just do Paul Revere's house, if that.

At MIT, I think of the old quad with the domed buildings inscribed with names of historic scientists as being the most identifiable with MIT. Or, if you are into contemporary architecture, the Geary building (Strata Center) or what I call the "sponge" building (highly regarded dorm built several years ago, written up in all the architecture press). You might even have time to walk across the bridge from MIT to Beacon Hill.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Yes, I would have dinner in the North End instead of Legal's. It's really a unique atmosphere. Make a reservation. All the restaurants will be busy. If I were you I would skip Mike's and have desert at the Café Vittoria on Hanover St. It's like a little piece of Italy. As suggested taking the Red Line from Cambridge to Charles and walking through Beacon Hill to the Common makes sense. If you spend more time in Harvard Square than you thought you can skip MIT. Since you are not hell bent on seeing every site on the Freedom Trail you could lop off the Charlestown portion which is a bit out of the way. You will miss the Bunker Hill Monument and the Constitution, but I would squeeze in the Constitution tour if you can. It's one of the best parts of the Trail I think. The things you want to do are not at set times, so be a little flexible and you should be OK.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 16:04
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Boston Trip Itineray

Knowing that La Grassas is closed on saturdays actually makes this easier.

Boston's North End isn't large so walking from Legal Seafoods on State Street to any of the bakerys in the North End shouldnt be a problem. Anyways....I'll need to walk off all the food I'm going to eat there. My wife really wants to eat at Legal Seafoods....and you know what they say....Happy wife happy life. We actually are arriving the day before at 4pm and will be grabbing dinner in the North End that night. Great tips everyone. Makes me wish I had more time.

Thanks

Eric