We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable B&B/ inn?

We are making our first visit to Boston for three nights in July. We prefer small hotels/inns/ B&Bs to large hotels, but I am having trouble finding any reasonably priced, central options for our stay. We will not have a car, so a safe and walkable location that has good access to public transportation is key. Any recommendations? We would like to stay under $200/night.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Look at the Copley Inn and the Oasis Guest House. Both are in good, central locations for people on a budget. I've stayed at the Copley Inn, the location cannot be beat in the heart of Back Bay and the rooms are basic and simple but clean. Best of all, the rooms have kitchenettes, to help keep food costs down.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Hi Suzy, you are coming at a high tourist season so finding something under $200 per night will be difficult. Boston is a very walkable city so you will be able to get about very easily without a car. You can do some tours if you like, walk the Freedom Trail, take a trolley tour, duck tour, etc. I have given you some websites to check out, some have smaller or boutique hotels. A few are in the $200+ range.

http://www.oyster.com/

bestromanticinns.com/1/…BostonArea.htm

http://www.beaconhillhotel.com/the-hotel/

(12 rooms and 1 suite)

www.chandlerinn.com/accommodations-en.html

bnbboston.com/locations/…the-hancock.html

above hotel is located in Back Bay area and would be a nice area to be in.

http://hotel140.com/

I have seen good reviews on Hotel 140 and it is in $200-220 price range. Convenient location.

Perhaps others may comment on any of above. Hope this helps you.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Prices fluctuate wildly, even within the same month. What are your exact dates? How many is "we"?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

We are coming the second week in July (7-10) and it is just my husband and myself.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

The Hotel Buckminster, Chandler Inn, Oasis Guest House, Charlesmark, Hotel 140 and the Copley House are all smaller hotels/inns in Boston that are under $200/ night for your dates on booking.com.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Hi Suzy, those are the exact dates that I was putting in to get some basic prices! I was just on

www.lastminutetravel.com and here are 2 deals for you to check out. I use this website myself and have booked several hotels thru them. No problems w/ booking. Sometimes you will see the name of the hotel but lots of them are unnamed.

http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotels.aspx#st=2&cin=07/07/2014&cout=07/10/2014&afId=0&mod=2&dst=1913;0&scf=1&onlyAvail=false&r1a=2&r1c=0&r1ca=11&brnd=0&lsb=0&hpt=1&hptf=1&pg=1

If you are unable to open the link go to the lastminutetravel.com website and plug in Boston. The above page should open for you. If you scroll down to the second listing you will see the Marriott Copley Place (4*) hotel. It is advertised for your dates for $166. per night or $571.56 total w/ taxes. Make sure you read the cancellation policy as that can vary. You can cancel this hotel up to 3 days prior to your reservation date but will incur a one night cancellation fee.

Next one I checked was 3.5* and it is Boston Park Plaza Hotel for $165. per night; TOTAL $567.84 and same cancellation policy. All 3 hotels say available on the website.

However, none of them are small as you are looking for. The Marriott Copley Place hotel is in a fantastic location and convenient to everything. Very walkable area and in a lovely neighborhood. I just checked another website for this hotel and it came up w/ a rate of $349. per night so this is a great price! I have a friend that stayed there a couple of years ago and loved the location and hotel. Here are some of the area attractions:

http://www.prudentialcenter.com/

You will be right near the Prudential Center which is a really lovely shopping center, restaurants, etc.

Hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

In addition, I suggest you take a look at the John Jeffries House and the Newbury Street Guest House.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Though the Park Plaza is a lovely old hotel, rooms are often not very comfortable. For secret sales, they are usually selling their "petite" category of room, which can be very tiny and awkward, with just a double bed.

I think the Marriott Copley Place is a good option on LastMinuteTravel.com if you are willing to give up on the idea of staying at a smaller property. It's the 4 * Back Bay property with 1,147 guestrooms. Look carefully at photos and you'll see Marriott on a sign over a lobby restaurant scene.

There just aren't all that many small inns and B&B's in centrally located Boston areas, and they too can be pricey. BooKat gave you a great list.

Kayak.com has the Charlsmark for $199 (incl cont breakfast). That's a boutique hotel with 48 rooms. The hotel is converted from an 1886 building that used to be a private residence. It would be just a double bed though. Queen rooms are a bit higher.

You might consider looking at AirBnB.com for accommodations in private residences. If you do that, ask the forum for help in assessing locations. Also make sure to check amenities such as air conditioning and whether it's a long walk-up.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

Thanks all! We booked the Copley Inn ($185/night). I will be sure to post a review when we return.

10. Re: Reasonable B&B/ inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26