We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

We realise that it's insufficient time to see everything, but we need to be near Ottawa the next afternoon, so we only have a day to look at some sights out of Boston before ending up around Albany NY by the end of the day. (We have a few nights in Boston.) Any suggestions as to where to go? (An alternative is to go north for a bit along the coast, then end up towards Montreal.)

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,008 reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
636 reviews
from US$76.00*
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

OK - it's close to Stockbridge and the Berkshires, so onto my list it goes. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Hmmm - thanks for the suggestion Thomas, but it's a bit off course and we are time-limited. Also if I go anywhere near an art gallery or similar, I'll lose my partner in there for a long time. Might have to miss that one this time and try again another trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Thanks Snowman. Although I'm an low-grade ex-basketballer, might give that one a miss this time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Thanks Remay and Ramblin Dan. It's sounding like the Berkshires, Stockbridge and that area are getting a few votes - you're not all from around there are you?

OK, but I was thinking of dropping in on a few coastal towns first. Any picturesque spots if we initially deviate south along the coast for a bit before heading inland? (I've heard Newport may be worth a visit.)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

We like Mystic Seaport. Some lovely little coastal towns in that area too. www.mysticseaport.org

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

It's all about geography and time. Coast is wrong direction. It is only 2.5 or 3 hrs to Albany. The best places to stop are relatively close to Albany. Maximize your day by driving less and sightseeing more.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Thanks Senior65 and neslaw. Looks like a bit of work this weekend looking at al these suggested places.

We actually have just over 2 days to travel to Ottawa, but my partner wants to see her new granddaughter, so we will have to arrive early afternoon on Day 2.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

I love Newport but Berkshire's are located in the direction that you are heading.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

So forget the inland route and head up to Cape Ann through Magnolia, Manchester, Gloucester, and Rockport. Then Ipswich, Newburyport, maybe Portsmouth. Then north toward Montreal (Route 16 takes you up that way from Portsmouth) and over to Ottawa.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Why were you going to Albany?

I know that google maps says to take the mass pike from Boston to Albany but it has never occurred to me to take that relatively southern route. If you have reason to be in Albany you have a great opportunity to drive the Mohawk Trail (route 2) all the way to Williamstown, a very scenic drive.