We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

We realise that it's insufficient time to see everything, but we need to be near Ottawa the next afternoon, so we only have a day to look at some sights out of Boston before ending up around Albany NY by the end of the day. (We have a few nights in Boston.) Any suggestions as to where to go? (An alternative is to go north for a bit along the coast, then end up towards Montreal.)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

True Remay, but a bit of meandering is fun, provided we don't run out of time and have to miss good spots later.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 09:14
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Thanks quabbin. I was also looking at the alternative northerly route, up to Portland and stopping overnight at St Johnsbury. However, everybody seems to be making a very strong case for the southerly route through Albany.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

No real reason to go to Albany Thomas - it just seemed to be on the way up to Ottawa and a convenient place for the first night's rest. Albany to Nepean, just out of Ottawa, is then only 5 hour's drive, allowing us to arrive early afternoon on the second day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

As a general comment, the reason us West Aussies, from the other side of the planet, have an interest in seaside places and not inland places is that we mostly live in a small pocket in the south-western corner of a huge State, 3.5 times the size of Texas. Inland there's not much to see and hardly anybody lives there. I've lived in the "outback" and it's not very hospitable. At times it's hard for us to comprehend that other places in the world have a lot to see in their interiors. (OK, I know that these statements are generalisations, but you get the idea.)

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

To be honest, WalkersWA, I think after the first post or two, most of us missed your mention of Montreal in your OP and focused only on Albany in your subject line. We're usually quite happy to recommend coastal routes! ;-) I like the Berkshires, but I also think quabbin's suggestion is great. It would take you to some pretty coastline as well as through the White Mountains and you could still get to Ottawa by early afternoon on the second day. It involves a small detour north (well, depending on how far you go) and then the route is northwest, right to Ottawa. So much for unanimity, Quabbin and I can be the outliers!

I love your explanation for why Aussies default to coastal trips!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

I would have to study a map to see where Ottawa is - I really have no idea what a conventional or interesting route to there from Boston would be. (Is Ottawa a province or a city?). I know it's a place in Canada.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

If you want coastal, then definitely head north up to Maine before swinging inland to head towards Montreal. Newport is south of Boston, in southern Rhode Island, totally the opposite direction in which to go if your destination is Canada. Boston to Montreal is about 6 hours straight driving (with a quick pit stop or two). If you leave early in the morning, you can spend a couple hours meandering up the coast before you hit the road in earnest. Montreal is wonderful city, I would much rather overnight there than in Albany.

What time of year are you going? I ask because if it is winter, you may want to stick to the more southern Route 2 or Route 90 to Albany plan due to winter weather conditions.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

OK Route128, then I still have the northern and southern routes as viable options.

From where I live it's about 300 miles east to nothing. About 10% of Aust. is arable and we live in about 5%.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Ottawa is the capitol of Canada Thomas. It's not that far from Boston - about 420 miles/690 kms NE. Should only take us 7 hours to come back to Boston.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Boston to Albany NY in a day: What to see?

Hi BooKat. We visited Montreal in 2012 and we don't have time for more exploration there. As we're coming back direct to Boston, the southern route is appealing because it's somewhere different. We're leaving Boston on 13th April, with just under 2 days to get to Ottawa, so a few deviations should be OK.