We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

Hey, I'm flying to Chicago on JetBlue in March, and I have to stop in Boston. It's just my mom, my sister and I. I want to do something that makes time go by...fast.

Thanks for listening, Please Reply.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

Taxi into downtown and walk around Faneuil Hall, North End and find a nice restaurant for a meal, but leave plenty of time to get back to the airport and clear secuirty, etc. I'd take a taxi back to save time and because the MBTA can be delayed and a bit unreliable in the cold weather.

This is obviously assuming your flight gets to Boston on time, this weather has been brutal with delays and storms so if your layover shrinks too much I'd stay at the airport.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 03:19
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

Another vote for Faneuil Hall area. Not far from Logan, easy to get back, and plenty to do. Waterfront near Boston Harbor Hotel and the Aquarium is pretty. Faneuil Hall has list to see. The North End isn't far. Great food. Leave a healthy cushion of time to get back.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

If you do not have time to go the city. Have a bite to eat Boston's Harbor Hotel (formally the Boston Harborside) on the airport property. (Yummy, clam chowder and calamari) It is a little pricey but they offer a beautiful view of the Boston Skyline.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

The hotel which remay refers to is I believe the Hyatt which overlooks the harbor. Free transportation from the terminal and if a nice day has a walking path along the water and benches.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

How much time you really have depends on your ongoing flight. Are you booked on Jet Blue straight through to your final destination on one ticket? Or, are you on two separate tickets and switching airlines? Is your final destination a domestic one or are you flying internationally?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

Thanks Crossfit, yes, it is the Boston Hyatt Harbor (formally Hyatt Harborside - not sure why they would change their name. It is so easy to confuse it, now, with the Boston Harbor Hotel)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

I was over there three weeks ago and didn't notice the change. I had to google it when i saw your post and see the change happened last may.

I always referred to it as just the Logan hyatt.

Boston
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

6 Hours is not really as high a duration as it looks, after you take away the time consumed by arrival and departure delays, travel to and from the airport, etc. Boston is a great University town with some top class institutions such as Harvard and MIT to boast. So, if you are so inclined, you might consider visiting (drive or take the T) Harvard Square, MIT and finish with the Prudential Center and the Copley Square area. Newbury street has some nice (though expensive) shopping areas. You may plan for a meal on Mass Avenue or the Prudential Center. As the others have said, be prepared for some cold, if not nasty, weather, based on current trends!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,482 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

It's not entirely clear that your entire itinerary is with Jet Blue, so just double checking that your flight into Boston is domestic. If it's international, then forget about going anywhere. You'll have to clear customs and immigration, which can take some time.

Do you really have 6 hours until the recommended advance arrival time for your flight? Or do you have 6 hours until the next flight departs? That also makes a big difference.

Another factor is whether you will have substantial carry-on bags with you. If you want to go exploring, it will be a pain with large carry-on bags.

Logan Airport has some good restaurants. If you stay at the airport, I recommend getting lobster rolls at Legal Seafood.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 Hour Layover In Boston...What is there to do?

The Boston harbor (public) ferry leaves from its terminal right next to the Hyatt that Remay28 has recommended. You can take the Hyatt shuttle or the airport's "Water Transportation" bus from the air terminals. The ferry goes to the water edge of downtown on the other side of the harbor. If you have the time, money and weather, and its schedule fits yours, it's also a good way to spend the time you have. Several very fine walks are possible from its downtown terminal. But the ride itself is special.