We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing the Big Dig

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
14 posts
Save Topic
Seeing the Big Dig

I'll be in Boston this weekend with my husband, who has never been. He's obsessed with the Big Dig -- and I want to make sure we experience it at least once. We won't have a car, so I'm thinking we'll just take a cab ride -- to where? -- to see the project. Any idea where I should tell the driver to go? We'll be staying at the Omni Parker House. Also, I'd like to see the Greenway -- but am not sure there's much to see when the city is covered in snow. Thanks for your help!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

You do know that the Big Dig is long done, right? I'm assuming you just want to drive through the central artery tunnel? As for walking on the Greenway, if the weather were nice, that would be the ideal thing to do. I don't know if they clear paths in the snow, though. You could try it and see, but unfortunately as you suspect it won't be much of an experience this time of year as it would be in the Summer.

I suppose you could hail a cab and tell him to drive you through the tunnel. One option would be to take the Red Line to North Quincy and pick up a taxi there to take you to the North End. You'd probably end up going through the tunnel that way. You could also ask the taxi to take you to Logan Airport. If you go from Quincy, you will definitely end up in the Ted Williams Tunnel, which was also part of the Big Dig. You can easily take the T back to Boston from the Airport.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

I think you should go over the Zakim bridge as part of your ride. It is a beautiful bridge and although above ground, an integral part of the Big Dig. It leads right into the tunnel. Tell your cab driver to take you to Somerville and then reverse direction onto 93 South. You will go over the bridge and into the tunnel. Have him take the South Station exit at the end of the tunnel and take you back to your hotel or just drop you near South Station where you can get on the Red Line.

Cleveland, Ohio
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

Thanks -- I do realize the project is over. Just want to drive through. We will be flying into Logan, so perhaps we should just catch a cab there. I was told that the Callahan Tunnel is closed -- which affects travel to and from the airport. That tunnel was not part of the Big Dig? I'm not sure what tunnel to ask a cab driver to take us through -- that's the problem. Central Artery Tunnel -- that's what I want? Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

The Callahan closing won't affect your commute if taking a cab from Logan and little on the way too. But the blue line is a nice way to get to and from Logan to your hotel.

I'd probably get over to north station to get a nice view of the zakim. Taking a cab is going to cost $50 plus.

Get over to the seaport district. This area was a big part of the dig. Walk the greeway, this is where the artery used to be.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

From the airport you can ask your driver to take the Ted Williams tunnel. That was a big part of the Big Dig. Though if you take a cab back to the airport, they will go through the Ted Williams tunnel because the Callahan (which goes to, not from, the airport) is closed.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

The Ted Williams Tunnel was the first part of the Big Dig to be completed. The way that the roads run however, if you are not heading from the Airport to the South Shore or from the South Shore, the taxi will take you through the Sumner Tunnel instead. That's why I said you need to start in North Quincy if you want to take the Ted Williams. Another option to enter the Ted Williams is to catch a taxi in Allston and have them take the Mass Pike to the Airport. That will also take you through the TW.

As for the bridge, I'm sorry I completely spaced out on that. Of course you'd probably want to see that as well. You can get a great view of that from the top of the Bunker Hill Monument. Also, I think you can probably get a nice view of it from the Science Park station on the Green Line. As mentioned, you can also ask a taxi to drive you across to Somerville and back if you wanted to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,052 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

You guys should come back in the summer. Not only will you be able to walk through the greenway, but you can take a boat ride over to Spectacle island where they dumped all the dirt and stuff from the big dig.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

If you're going to cab it from Logan you can tell your driver to use the Ted. Tell him to get off at the south Boston exit and take northern ave to the greenway. It'll cost you just another few bucks and you'll be able to cross it off your bucket list.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

Don't forget the subway, too. The ceiling at the Blue Line Aquarium stop was rebuilt because the Dig went over the station. It also went under the Red Line.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing the Big Dig

If you walk around the city at all you will probably be struck by how incredibly beautiful it is. Now imagine that there is an elevated highway running North/South behind the waterfront and think about how different it must have been to walk underneath it, if you wanted to. I think that's really the best way to experience "the big dig".