We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

Hi,

I will be moving to Boston for 12 months to complete an Internship.

The place will be right by MIT in Cambridge,

Currently, I live in Atlanta, GA.

I had the following questions about moving to Boston on a temporary basis:

1) Is it a wise idea to find housing far from Cambridge and drive back and forth to work? What are the costs for parking and an average of what I expect to pay for tolls?

2) If so, which areas in driving distance of Boston do you recommend for living, considering the wellness of neighborhood and an advantage of being cheaper than the city?

3) What are the best ways to look for temporary housing in Boston. I can consider anything from a private room to a studio. What will be the price ranges I may expect in different areas in and around Boston?

4) As I consider either driving my own car from Atlanta or renting one in Boston, what are the long-term (e.g. three months) rental options in Boston?

Any suggestions on each of these plus any personal experience on a temporary life in Boston is greatly appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

I would recommend renting a place in CAmbridge. You won't need a car unless the internship requires you to leave the city. You can check the Boston Globe for rentals. Maybe you could contact the company you're interning with and see if they have suggestions? Or is it through a college? Maybe they have housing available?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

"Newcomer's Handbook Boston" is excellent and addresses the many questions you have. It is offered on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Once you are in Boston, It will be an invaluable guide to the city.

I just Googled "three months car rental in Boston" and got many possibilities, e.g., Avis, Enterprise, website Flightcar.com, and many others.

Lots you can find out online.

Steve

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

Unless you need a car for your internship, you really don't want one here. It will be a great expense and a hassle if you do live in Cambridge.

You should try to find something in Cambridge or Somerville as you will probably enjoy those areas the most. Davis Sq. in Somerville would be a great location for you to look if anything is in your price range around there. Harvard Sq. and Central Sq. are also good options for areas to look.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

If I were you, I'd try to be car-free. Driving is not easy with traffic and parking is expensive. The subway is easy to use. Look in Cambridge, Somerville... MIT is on the Red Line.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

Hi,

i will be responsible for the housing myself, but i was looking to see if i can trade distance from cambridge with value and quality of the place. Even if it is accessbile with subway, that will be still fine for me

and i believe give the short period of stay, i will need to look for a furnished place.

What are the price ranges, will they be down if i go farther? and how far is still reasonable if one uses public transportation?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

If I were you, I'd look at Wollaston, North Quincy, Braintree and see if you can find anything cheaper than Cambridge Somerville, etc. Everything close to the City and safe will be pricy. For major differences, I think you have to go further out, but the Commuter Rail expense and need for a car makes much further out not necessarily that cheaper. With all the universities in the area you might find a nice quiet grad-student roommate to share expenses with.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

Since you are coming for a year, you can just take a regular lease. Studios in the Cambridge/Somerville area run in the $1,000+ a month range. This will most likely not include parking, but you won't need a car if you are near a T stop. It may be tough to find anything furnished, but you could probably outfit the place with fairly reasonably with some low-end and/or used furniture. When shopping for an apartment make sure you find out whether or not hear is included as this can add to your expense in the winter. It probably wouldn't be too bad for a studio unless it is electric heat which is not that common here as it is very expensive.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,789 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

I agree. You don't want to live in the suburbs and commute. This is a great opportunity to live in a fabulous walking city, car free.

In the Boston area, it's quite common for people to share apartments in roommate situations. This continues into early adulthood and sometimes beyond. Boston.craigslist.org is a good site for finding a variety of long term housing situations. Just be careful to avoid online scams. Never give financial info, send money, etc.

This conversation is bordering on a relocation topic vs a travel topic, so it could get removed from TA. Check out the city-data Boston forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/boston/ You should be able get some good advise there.

9. Re: Moving to Boston for a Temporary Period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17