We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

We are taking our son to Boston to visit colleges this March. We have never been to Boston before so are planning to fly in on Saturday, spend the rest of the weekend in Boston, go to Tufts on Monday, and then drive to some other colleges outside of Boston. Our plan was to rent a car and pick it up at the airport, but I'm reading a lot about taking the T because it's a hassle to park and to drive in Boston. Are we wiser (and able) to take the T to a hotel (we want to stay near Boston College because we have a friend there) and then pick up our car either before or after visiting Tufts? I've also heard that it takes a LONG time for the T to get from the airport to the Boston College area. I'm assuming we'll try to stay in the Brookline/Chestnut Hill area. Or should we pick up our rental car when we fly in, but just make sure we're staying at a place where we can park and leave it there until we leave? Thanks for your help! We're clueless!!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

It is a long subway ride to BC. Tufts is located in an odd little corner and you would need to take subway and bus there. In this case it may be worth having the car and staying further out. Does your friend know of any hotels nearby?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

How you handle your rental car would depend upon where you end up staying. Boston College is at the very end of the B Green Line which is about a 40 min trip from downtown Boston. Tufts is very easy to get to by T. From downtown, take the Red Line to Davis. From Davis you can take a free Tufts shuttle (across from the Davis Sq. Theatre), a 94 or 96 bus, or even walk. I used to work at Tufts and from downtown Boston it took 30-35 min door to door to get there. If your hotel is on a T subway line, it will be easy to get to from the airport on public transportation

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

As I think through our logistics, I'm realizing we will want a car when we go to Tufts because we will be leaving the area for a different hotel that night and will need a place to keep our luggage! So..... would it make the most sense to pick up our car at the airport, drive to a hotel in Brookline/Newton and then just use the T for going back into the city to do some sightseeing? Is it unbelievably horrible driving from the airport to the BC area? How about the drive up to Tufts? Thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

Just rent a car. Neither Boston College nor Tufts are in Boston.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 14:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

Actually Boston College is partly in Boston, partly in Newton. There are no hotels within walking distance of BC. You could look at the Brookline Holiday Inn or Courtyard Marriott. They are about a 10 minute drive to BC, but are well located on the Green Line C train to get into Boston for sightseeing. There is also a Best Western on Commonwealth Ave. about 10 minutes from BC. But traveling into Boston is more convenient from Brookline.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

There is a budget hotel, the Best Western University very close to BC that has free parking. If this type of place meets your needs you could rent a car at the airport and stay there for the BC visit. It is on the Green Line, so you can take that downtown.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

In your case, I would rent the car. The Newton Marriott is right down the road from BC and convenient to Tufts . Weekend parking in the city is more affordable as well. This is all assuming that you are comfortable driving in snowy conditions which I would guess you are coming from Chicago!

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

Thanks for the suggestions! We have a Boston tour book that says driving in Boston is comparable to driving in Rome. We have been to Rome and I would NEVER drive there! It says there are ramps and undergound roads that totally confuse you! Is it really that bad driving from the airport out to BC? Should we take the T part way and pick up our rental car somewhere else?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

No, if you are from Chicago you can drive in Boston. You should pick up a car at the airport and drive to your hotel in Newton, take the Ted Williams tunnel which is the Mass Pike and it will take you to Newton. You will need the car to get to Tufts, also from the Marriott to BC.

If you will be sightseeing for the weekend in downtown Boston you should drive in, park in the Boston CommonBoston Common garage, and spend your days getting around on the T.

It is not at all like Rome.

Hull, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to hotel to Tufts University on T Line?

I'd have to agree, rent the car at the Airport.

Like Cambridgetraveler said, it's all highway to Newton on I-90 from the airport. There are also some hotels in Newton off of I-95/128 (which connects to I-90).

If you are at all intimidated by driving, DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR INTO THE CITY. It's not as bad as Rome, but it's not far off either. It's an incredibly difficult city to drive in if you don't know where you are going. GPS doesn't always help. I have had many friends rent cars in Boston and wish they hadn't.

If you want to do some sightseeing in Boston, drive your car to the Riverside T (subway) stop and park. The Riverside stop is the last stop on the Green D line and it's in Newton. Parking at the T stop costs about $7 for the day. They only accept cash. I think it's about a 30-40 minute ride into town.