We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

Hi there

We want to come on a tour Boston to Washington inc new York and Philadelphia, but my motocross mad husband wants to take in New Berlin on the way. (there is a motocross there). I have told him that it's really NOT on the way, but he seems to think that it's ok! He doesn't mind driving from Boston, but I'd like to stay overnight on the way back. Would near the Green Mountain Forest be good?

Thought this would get you thinking.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

The first thing it gets me thinking is that I doubt I'm the only one here who has no idea where New Berlin is. At least, I didn't until I looked it up on Google Maps, which tells me that there are four of them in the US. I assume you mean either the New York one or the Pennsylvania one, neither one of which is very close to Green Mountain National Forest in Vermont (again assuming that's what you mean). Anyway, what do you mean when you say you'd like to stay overnight "on the way back"? Is this a round-trip drive from Boston to Washington and back? And what are your criteria when you ask "would near Green Mountain Forest be good?" Any place would be good if it's on your route and all you need to do is spend the night.

In other words, I'm not sure what you're asking.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

New Berlin appears to be in upstate New York somewhere between Albany and Syracuse, kind of the middle of nowhere. The Green Mountains in Vermont is are really not on the way. I think it would make the most sense for you to drive from Boston to New Berlin and then to New York City where you can get rid of the car and to the rest of your trip by train. I don't know that area at all and can't suggest a place to stay between there and New York City, but maybe someone else here can.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

I googled "New Berlin Motocross" and see that there is such a thing (not sure what it is exactly) in New Berlin, NY.

It's not really on the way to New York City but it's not as crazy as driving all the way from Boston to Niagara Falls, which for some reason a lot of people are interested in doing, so yes, you could drive 4 hours from Boston to New Berlin, breathe the Motocross air or drink the Motocross kool-aid (is it some kind of motorcycle racing) then drive down to New York City from there.

But as wpsaukee says, it's not clear what you are asking.

When would this trip be? As usual it makes all the difference (we live in a climate with very different seasons).

Edited: 21 February 2014, 15:36
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

The motocross is at Unadilla National, New Berlin, N.Y. (Motocross is off road motorcycle racing). Having thought about it, perhaps it would make more sense to do our trip back to front (Washington to Boston). Then we could drive from New York to the motocross because it's shorter distance. Then we could stay somewhere on the way back from New Berlin to Boston.

Whilst I don't mind going to the motocross, I don't want to waste 2 days of the holiday, so I thought we could stay near-ish the National Park and go for a walk or something the next day. Perhaps we should just push on (from our overnight stay) to Boston so we can have longer in Boston.

We're coming in August, should we book now?

Any suggestions of where to go would be gratefully received. We're not particularly interested in wandering round towns (well, he gets bored easily!) but don't mind if there is a purpose to it (like a museum or attraction). There will be no kids, and he doesn't mind driving a fair distance. We want to go New York and perhaps Philadelphia.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

You should post this on the New York State forum.

You are throwing us (or perhaps I should say ME) with this green mountain national forest (gmnf) thing. When I think "Green Mountains", I think heart of Vermont. But according to mapquest part of gmnf is in New York, about 100 miles/2hr20min from New Berlin. But I have no idea if this is a touristy area with scenic views, paved roads, hotels and restaurants or dirt roads and old logging camps.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

National Forests are not the same as National Parks. National Parks tend to have really spectacular scenery - National Forests are forests owned by the federal government and can be nice places to go camping or hunting or hiking.

There is a really nice National Historic Park in Saratoga at the site of the crucial battle of the American Revolution. I think it's a really beautiful spot, on the banks of the Hudson and would be a good place to stop on your way from New Berlin to Boston.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 19:45
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

In addition to the NY state forum mentioned above, you may also want to post on the Road Trips Forum. Here's a link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

Thanks very much for your replies. Will research Saratoga.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

and also important to know, New Berlin to Boston is not via Vermont unless you make a big detour.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to Washington via New Berlin!

It's not on the way --at all--. Way out of the way. Have to see it as a side trip. Doable, but not like NYC, which is literally on the way.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 13:47