We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Boston!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in Boston!

I recently read a wonderful article (see link below) on lonely planet which was a state by state guide to iconic foods in the United States. It mentions clam chowder in Massachusetts. I'm visiting in April and wonder, do you agree? Is clam chowder the thing I should keep an eye out for when I'm in Boston, or are there other wonderful things I ought to be eating when I'm there? Or is it like Kangaroo in Australia… all tourists try it but hardly any locals enjoy eating it!

I'm also visiting Nevada, Arizona, California, NYC (pizza! woo!), Washington DC, North Carolina and Orlando. Of course I realise this is a Boston forum, but if you think there are foods I really shouldn't miss, please be so kind as to tell me!

Many thanks,

The article...

lonelyplanet.com/north-america/…77725

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in Boston!

Folks do enjoy the clam chowder although Durgin Park is not the place that came to mind to get it.

In NYC, I do like the cheesecake at Junior's along with the pizza.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in Boston!

The food is pretty uniformly horrible in most of the places you'll be visiting aside from Boston, NYC, and California.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in Boston!

The last time I ate clam chowder in a restaurant was last night! I also occasionally make it from scratch at home or eat it from a can.

I haven't had Durgin's in years but there was a time when a friend and I made the downstairs bar at Durgin Park a regular lunch stop: bowl of chowder & a beer. I don't know if the bar is still there.

Also, everybody has their favorites. Some like it very thick with a heavy, creamy, base. Others prefer a thinner milky base. clams and potatoes are a must.

I think you need to try several to find out which you like best. ;-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in Boston!

Haha Thomas G, I have wonderful memories of eating at IHOP (International House of Pancakes) when I was traveling the States as an 11 year old with my parents. I was semi-hoping for a little improvement since then. Sticky booths, syrup galore. The other thing I remember eating on that trip (close to 20 years ago) was Churros. Of course they aren't North American, and I can get them a short walk from where I live, but they were the most delicious thing I'd eaten at that age.

Thanks forgotmypword, I shall do my best to find a bowl when I'm there. It's the sort of food I'd like, comforting, creamy and salty.

Any other must-try food suggestions?

Scranton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in Boston!

When I go to Boston I usually can't get enough Lobster Roll, which is lobster salad on a warm buttery toasted roll. It's so good! I usually go to Parker's Bar for that in the Omni a Parker a House, but I hear James Hook Co has the best. Also there's the Boston creme pie invented by the Parker House that's always a must on my trip list. Enjoy your vacation!!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in Boston!

I'd agree that clam chowder is pretty common and you will see it at many places. I would probably eat it at places that do a lot of seafood, however. Would pass on it at a mass chain restaurant, if you happen to find yourself in one. In Boston, I would go to the North End, the old Italian neighborhood, where you will find lots of delights. You might go to Pizzeria Regina there, for the excellent pizza. (The Pizzeria Regina at Quincy Market is not as good). Try some Italian pastries at a bakery (you will see long lines of tourists at Mike's and Modern, but the pastry at Maria's is as good IMHO and it is off the main street there so less of a line).

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in Boston!

I love clam chowder. Mccormick and schmicks actually has a great one. I like mine more on the thin side.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in Boston!

Yes, clam chowder is imbibed, and a topic of debate. Every year there is a 'Chowder Fest' which is fun. Seafood is big here, and Amy737 mentions several key foods. Here's an idea: go to Union Oyster House, sit at the raw bar only. This is a must. It's the oldest restaurant in Boston, many famous people have sat there. Get chowder and a beer. You will get cornbread with the chowder. Have a fee oysters if you wish. That's a Boston experience!

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in Boston!

1. I concur regarding the Union Oyster House- established in 1826- great place for a lobster roll!

2. Legal Seafoods is excellent

Bon apetit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in Boston!

We also have a wonderful food truck scene in Boston and April 1st will mark the beginning of a new schedule for them. The city has an official schedule but it doesn't always work so I use this site to find my favorites or new ones I want to try.

http://www.hubfoodtrucks.com/#

You will get GREAT chowders and fish soups at the Cod Squad Truck if you happen by it. Some of the trucks like Mei Mei Street Kitchen, Bon Me, Roxy Grilled Cheese, Penny Packers have been successful enough to launch brick and mortar restaurants.

My favorite spots are the ones with multiple trucks. Some of these are in high traffic tourist areas like City Hall, Copley Square , South Station, and the Christian Science Center.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/