We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay when traveling on to MV

My husband and I will be arriving at Boston Logan at 5:35 pm on Friday May 30. We will be taking the ferry to stay for a week in Edgartown on Saturday morning. Soooo....where do I stay Friday night? Boston, Hyannis, or ? We would like to be on the ferry by 10 am on Saturday. And once you lovely smart people tell me where to stay, please tell me how to get from hotel to the ferry port. We will be staying in Boston and seeing the sites on the back end of this trip so being close to anything other than a nice place for dinner isn't important to us. Thanks a bunch, tried to noodle this out on my own and kept hitting walls!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

You really should take the ferry out of Woods Hole in Falmouth. It is significantly less expensive and gets you there much more quickly. I would plan to stay in Boston on Friday night as the vast majority of hotels, inns, b&bs etc on the Cape will have a 2-night minimum on the weekend. You could stay at an airport hotel or near South Station and take the bus to the ferry.

https://www1.steamshipauthority.com/…

http://peterpanbus.com/

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

How do I get from hotel to the bus?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Cab or subway depending on where you stay.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 00:17
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Ok will lock that down. Any area in particular I should look for hotel that will be easiest access for cab to ferry? And second question, we will be back in Boston for 2 days at the end of out trip. We plan to do a couple tours, one historical and one food as well as wonder around a bit . I plan to bid on a priceline hotel, what area should I request? Thanks alot

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Another option would be to take the bus from logan to Hyannis (P&B). Stay at a hotel right there where the bus drops you off. That's the main street area where a lot of shops and restaurants are. You could then walk over to the ferry.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Beagle33 - they are not going to get a hotel on a Friday night in May Hyannis for 1 night only unless they wait until the last minute & hope for the best. The ferry cost from Hyannis would be either $45.00 or $72.00 each and the trip over can take almost 2 hours on the regular ferry. The r/t on Steamship Authority from Woods Hole is $16.00 and takes 45 minutes.

Normangang - if you stay in Boston (which is what I am suggesting) you will need to get to South Station via cab or subway. This is where you would get the bus to the ferry in Woods Hole - see Peter Pan link above. The trip is 1 hour and 45 minutes on the bus, South Station to Woods Hole.

Using Priceline - look for Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market; or the Waterfront (not the Seaport) or Back Bay or Boston Common as central areas

Edited: 24 February 2014, 01:40
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Yes, Kendrick is right. stay in Boston, anywhere sort of central as stated above. Get up early, get to South station, get on the bus to Woods Hole. This is what you need to do. Don't get distracted by the fact that other boats go to MV. Woods Hole is the 'big' ferry and buses go from Boston all the time, to meet those ferries.

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

HMM, if I'm reading the Peter Pan schedule correctly the first bus to Woods Hole doesn't even leave South Station until 10AM on the morning of May 31. If this is the case I would take the 6:20 PM bus from Logan Friday night and go directly to Woods Hole and stay at an inn/hotel down there so you can take your time in the AM.

Maybe this place?

http://woodsholeinn.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

Woods Hole Inn has a 2 night minimum on the weekends.

10. Re: Where to stay when traveling on to MV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18