We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday in Boston

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday in Boston

So, this may sound silly but my husband and I will be in Boston for his birthday. For the first time ever, he seems to be worried about making his birthday special - as though being in Boston isn't enough :p. (Tuesday, March 11th)

Are there are super cool things we tourists could do or visit that evening to make this birthday memorable? He likes beer, exercise, history, and food. He's a pretty simple guy to please, but I'm hoping to be an extra awesome wife!

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
CityView Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday in Boston

Here's what I would do - start by taking a tour of the Sam Adams brewery, after visit the Union Oyster House (the oldest restaurant in Boston) for some clam chowder or some oysters and then walk through historic Quincy Market over to the North End for some excellent Italian food at Mamma Maria's. After, grab a cannoli at Modern Pastry or take a cab over to the Top of the Hub for a nightcap - best view in the city. (You could also have dinner there if the other suggestions sound like too much, I was trying to get everything in! I would not suggest dinner at Union Oyster but an appetizer would be fine)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday in Boston

LOL...beer, exercise, history and food...that's a great combo for Boston.

Here's what I would do, combining history, exercise, food and beer...Start at the Park St. visitor's center and start walking the Freedom Trail. When you get to the USS Constitution, you will be near the Harborwalk. Take the Harborwalk back along the harbor into the North End. If you are tired of walking, at that point, you can pick up a water taxi which will take you to the South Boston waterfront. If not, continue walking along the Harborwalk until you get to the South Boston area. Finish up all that exercise with a cold beer at the new Harpoon Brewery Beer Hall. Have a pretzel there with your beer, and then go over to Yankee Lobster and have some great clam chowder and a lobster roll or some boiled lobster.

http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/index.php

https:/…boston

http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/

https://www.citywatertaxi.com/index.html

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,813 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday in Boston

I see from your prior post that you arrive on Sat and leave on Weds.

Not exactly a "birthday spectacular", but that Saturday is the 244nd Anniversary of the Boston Massacre. It will be reenacted in front of the Old State House. …boston.com/boston_ma/events/show/369592971-…

Does he like basketball? The Celts will be playing during your visit.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday in Boston

Book a behind the scenes tour at the Old North Church. This is where the two "one if by land, 2 if by sea" lanterns hung. This is in the North End. (Italian n'hood). Then go to a sitdown cafe (not a bakery) for coffee or a cordial and pastry. Tell the staff it is his bday. (Bring candles in case they don't have any.). Soon after, everybody in the place will be singing to him!!

MA
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday in Boston

How about a visit to the Frost Ice Bar in the Quincy Market area. We did this for our daughter's birthday and everyone had a lot of fun. Also, there are discounted admission tickets for select times. Check their website if interested.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday in Boston

Fantastic suggestions. There are additional breweries in the area, but Sam Adams & Harpoon are the big ones. Harpoon is a lot easier to get to, just FYI, but there may be a tour or shuttle that takes you to Sam Adams. If you wanted to visit an awesome craft beer store, 'Craft Beer Cellar'. But it's in a suburb (Belmont), maybe too far. Suggest you also research Boston pubs with best selection of beers on tap. BTW, not all 'Irish' pubs are great, some are kind of fake and annoying. Maybe you could do a new thread to ask about best bars in Boston for real beer, I.e. Good non-corporate beer.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday in Boston

I retread your post, and love your description of your hubby. It just hit me- exercise + history: you must walk at least some of the Freedom Trail. Two of the best things along the trail are the Old North Church which someone mentioned (yes, it's great), & thE USS Constitution. Definitely walk at least some of the trail. Think he would love the USS Constitution. Oh, and Copp's Hill Cemetery.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday in Boston

I hope we get there in time!!! How cool and thank you for sharing this!!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday in Boston

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum offers free admission on your birthday - but the beer and Freedom Trail might be better for a guy!

10. Re: Birthday in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 07:23