We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on first day when up early?

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on first day when up early?

We'll be flying in for the UK on a Sunday in August and landing around 12 noon so will plan to stay up until 9-10p.m. Assuming that we'll wake up early on the Monday morning, is there anywhere that it would be a good idea to go to as it gets busier later? Just thinking that we're not particularly early morning people so won't want to be up early every day and this could be a good opportunity if we are already awake.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

If the USS Constitution is on your list, early is a great time to miss all the student tour groups. Oops, just remembered they are not open on Mondays. You can get a jump on the Freedom Trail.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 13:56
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

Yes, the freedom trail early is smart. The North End in the morning is a nice place to be. A walk behind the Boston Harbor hotel over behind the Moakley courthouse is nice early.

But it's not like Disney and most tourist attractions flow well during the day.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

I assume bu 'early' you mean before 8 or 9 an. In that case, i disagree with the freedom trail because the indoor venues will not be opened and if they are of interest you will need to backtrack. Instead I recommend walking around beacon hill and the public garden. Cafe Vanille on Charles Street opens at 6am. In the morning, they serve coffe and espresso drinks, egg sandwiches and outrageous pastry, croissants and quiche.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 15:23
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

I used to walk through the Common early on the way to work when I worked in Bay Village. It was really quite nice. Sometimes you see older people doing Tai Chi.

Walking near the Harbor early, down by the Aquarium and Boston Harbor Hotel is also interesting. You sense the pulse of the harbor, with boats and planes coming and going.

Another thought: enjoying the back streets of Beacon Hill. When things are quieter, you get a sense of the history, with the architecture and cobblestones...

I love early morning walks.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

I agree with going out for a nice breakfast and a walk. It is not like Paris or Florence where huge lines start forming early for the tourist attractions. The only time I've ever seen lines for any museum or tourist attraction like that is when there is a very popular special exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts or some other special event. You'll be fine.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

The Commonwealth Avenue Mall is also nice for an early morning walk. It is a beautiful park (not shopping!) in the median of Comm Ave running from Arlington Street west for several blocks; its statues provide some Boston history.

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

Thanks for all the lovely suggestions, it really makes me wish we were going sooner. One fairly important piece of info I forgot to include is that we will be staying in a condo in the North End. We wouldn't have much chance or inclination to do any food shopping on the Sunday as it will be the Fisherman's Feast weekend so the thought of an early breakfast and a stroll somewhere sounds lovely.

Funny you should mention Disney, CrossfFitBoston, as that was our last U.S. holiday in 2012 and, together with the planning for the New York leg of this year's trip, I think I'm in "have to get up early to see it all" mode. We'll all be happy that that's not the case. I'm also very pleased to hear that there won't be too many queues.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

Your landing time and North End destination put you in wonderful position to take the water taxi across the harbor and enjoy the views as you arrive in the city.

Or, you could grab a coffee and muffin and walk down to Long Wharf in the early morning and take the Inner Harbor ferry to the Charlestown Navy Yard and back. The first run is at 6:30. Here's the schedule.

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/…

It will cost you just $3. per person if you pay per ride and is included in the one-day and seven day passes.

This is a great photo opportunity. I'm a photographer and often take this boat when I want pictures from the water.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

Wow I love the thought of the water taxi after landing! I had a look on the map and it looks like we could get off at Lewis, Burroughs or Fairmont Wharves and it would be a few minutes walk so that would be great. At $10 each it would be a bit more than a taxi and, as we would buy a weekly Subway pass at the airport if we were going on the Subway, it's a lot more than that. But it would be a fantastic way to start the holiday. I guess we'll decide on the day depending on weather and tiredness levels. Thanks so much for the idea, it wouldn't ever have occurred to me.

Boston...
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on first day when up early?

You could also take the first ferry (I think 9am) to Boston Harbor Islands and spend the morning there if it's a beautiful August day. August tends to be one of the busiest tourist months, but I agree it's nothing like Disney or Rome or anything. The Aquarium can get busy on certain days, but you can also buy a pass for the time you want to go, if the Aquarium is on your list.