We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

Hi TA'ers

I will be making my first visit to Boston early April for a business trip. I will be there for about a week, and will be staying at the Eliot Hotel. I arrive on a Monday evening and Tue-Thurs will be spent with work. I will have Fri-Sun free to do my own stuff before leaving early Monday morning.

Sat will probably be spent playing a round of golf and catching up with colleagues, so I actually only have Friday and Sunday to myself.

I've got a couple of questions which I hope you guys can help answer:

1. Where can I get a good deal on car rentals in Boston? Preferably some place near the hotel so pickup and dropoff is easy. I will likely only get the car for Friday to Sunday.

2. I've got a shopping list from the wife (and my own stuff) - and as usual was planning to hit the outlets where I can pick up good priced clothes, golfing apparel, sunglasses etc. Wrentham Premium outlets seems to the nearest outlet with lots of shops. Any other places to shop to recommend?

3. My flight leaves 8am on Monday. What time do I need to leave the hotel to safely get to the airport (Logan), keeping that its Monday morning and to beat rush hour?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. Thanks in advance! :)

Regards

Jason

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

Oh yes! How's parking like around Eliot Hotel? I tried searching but couldn't find any information on whether the hotel has a parking lot.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

You really don't want/need a car in Boston. Parking is expensive and driving is a hassle. If you want to go to the outlets I'd recommend just renting a car for that portion of your trip and then returning the car. I'm assuming your friends will pick you up for the golf portion? Are you going to Singapore when you leave Boston? If so, you'll need to be at the airport 2-3 hours before your flight. So, you'd want to be there at 5:30, so I'd call for a cab at 5.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

Thanks Beagle33, I'll do the day rental for the car in that case. Yes, the main use would be for Friday when I hit the outlets and some golf stores in the Boston area (need the car to transfer all the loot back to the hotel!) :)

Yes, I will be returning to Singapore on Monday - would I really need to call for a cab at 5? From the map it looks like its less than 5 miles to the airport?

Anyway, anyone know of a good place where I can get a good selection of golf stuff at a good price? Only see Golfsmith @ Watertown

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

If you are hopping on an international flight out of Logan, then you should normally plan to arrive at the airport no later than 3 hours before your flight. Domestic flight, you can do 2 hours. Since your international flight leaves so early, I would like to think that you would be OK with arriving 2 1/2 hours before, but I would not push it any later than that.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

Google "Golfer's Warehouse" in Braintree MA

Close to the "South Shore Plaza" Mall

use Google MAPS to locate both

Exit 6 I - 93 SOUTH

will take about 30 minutes to drive from

Logan airport

A bit less time from the Eliot hotel.

If your into the "Outdoors" then head for LLBean -

Retail store in Mansfield MA ( Mansfieldcrossing.com )

close to Premium Outlets Wrentham, MA exit 15 I -495

exit 7a - I -95 south then 140 south

enjoy.

P.S. in Mass, there's no sales tax on clothing.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 15:33
Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

For domestic flights I get to the airport about an hour early. For international I think you will be fine 2 hours early, especially that early. I think if you get the cab at about 5:30 it will be fine. Downtown hotels don't have parking lots. They typically valet park you car in a garage and charge about $40 a day.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

I agree that you don't need to be at the airport 3 hours early - 2 hours should be plenty at that hour. Depending on the terminal, some don't even open before 6am. Other considerations regarding airport timing would include: Will you have bags to check? Will you have your boarding pass printed ahead of time? Are you flying 1st, Business or Economy? Do you have status on the airline you'll be flying on?

My husband flew out of Logan every Monday on the first flight out to Canada (6:30am) for 5 years & walked up to security AT boarding time. Never missed a flight. Logan is pretty manageable in comparison to many other airports - although I've not yet been to Singapore ;)

Regarding golf - I'm curious where you're planning on golfing? We've had a terrible winter & the courses here (surburbs 15 miles from Boston) are still covered in snow. Not sure any courses would be open anytime soon!

Edited: 14 March 2014, 17:39
8. Re: Business trip to Boston, with some shopping/sightseeing too!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18