We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Hi all,

I'm visiting Boston on 5th December 2014 with my husband for just two nights. I'm trying to find out when the Christmas lights go on, are there any Christmas parades, Carol services etc. we are very excited as it will be our first time to Boston & a big fan of Christmas!. Any advice would be very gratefully received. We haven't booked a hotel yet either if anyone can recommend a good location but reasonable on the budget,

We will be driving in from NYC and then plan to drive up the coast and have a couple of nights in either Portsmouth or Manchester (just ideas) before driving back to NYC if anyone has any tips on those places or different places to visit for the two nights. Just wanting somewhere quaint and christmassy!

Thanks in advance!

Jenna

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,053 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
461 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Lights and decorations will be up by then. Trinity Church in Copley Square has beautiful Carols by Candlelight concerts. I'm not sure if they start that early though. You might want to take in a Christmas-themed show such as The Nutcracker. When you say "Manchester" do you mean Manchester, NH? Portsmouth is a nice little city, but Manchester is really not a tourist destination. Portland, ME is a nice city to visit and you can get there without driving via Amtrak's Downeaster service. You might want to do this and forget the car. You can easily take the train from NYC to Boston. You won't want or need the car in Boston and hotels typically charge about $40 a day for parking.

Mentioned in this post
Trinity Church
Trinity Church
812 Reviews
Boston, MA
Copley Square
Copley Square
640 Reviews
Boston, MA
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Did you mean Manchester, VT? Manchester, VT is in a nice area and it is known now for its outlet shopping. Manchester, NH, agreed, is not a place that draws tourists. The Portland, Maine by train idea is great. Portland is a wonderful little city, even in winter, and has lots of shops and restaurants in the Old Port. Portland is known for its foodie culture and great number of restaurants and cafes. Portsmouth, NH is also a quaint coastal city and closer to Boston than Portland. Portsmouth also has shopping at the nearby outlets in Kittery, Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
972 Reviews
Portland, ME
Manchester
Manchester
Green Mountains, VT
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Or did you mean the seaside community of Manchester Massachusetts? It is very residential, not sure there is much there for a tourist in December.

Our forefathers were not very creative in naming cities and towns, were they?

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

. . . which is part of the reason Manchester, MA officially changed its name to Manchester-by-the-Sea! (but who can say all that ;-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

While you are in Boston, you should definitely check out the Faneuil Hall area. They have nice light displays, including "Blink" where there the lights blink on and off to the tune of music every evening. I don't think I did it justice with that description, but it's a fun thing to do and a good area to check out anyway.

And I'll add to the barrage of previous comments telling you not to go to Manchester, NH. Portsmouth, NH is a nice place to spend a couple days. Portland, ME and Newport, RI would be my two other suggestions of places to spend a couple days that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Last year, Boston hotel prices were rock bottom around that time. The same may happen this year. It will depend on whether there are big events in town (e.g. conferences, etc).

It's too early to see realistic pricing. If you want to book something now, book something that can be canceled without a fee. Then watch for last minute price drops.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your responses. Thank you to Charlestown_Matt for mentioning Newport, RI. I have taken a look into it and think that will be the place for us and it even has it's own Christmas events website! So we will be going NYC, on to Newport (RI), then onto Boston before returning back to NYC.

Thanks christnp2 for the tip re the hotels in Boston. Will be looking now for a hotel that can be cancelled without charge should the prices (hopefully) drop again this year!

This will be my first time to all of these places so am very excited!!

Jenna

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

You will love New Port Rhode Island.

Mentioned in this post
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Also Boston has a nice theater district that you can go to and take in a Christmas Show.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Rotherham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston- 2 nights December 5-7th 2014

Thanks Magilla0U12- very excited! Will check out the theater district in Boston.

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts