We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Callahan Tunnel

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Callahan Tunnel

Could someone please tell me how to get from Logan Airport Enterprise Car Rental lot to

the Southeast Expressway going south to Newport RI? I lived in Boston back in

the 70's but there have been a lot of changes and I guess the Callahan tunnel is

now open again?

Thanks for any help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,232 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Callahan Tunnel

Since you were here last, we have a new tunnel - the Ted Williams. Take that via 90 west to 93 south.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Callahan Tunnel

Please do not even think about leaving the airport and entering the Callahan tunnel ... You will drive head on into traffic!! Sumner goes away from the airport :-)

That said ... Alan is right, the Ted will be best.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Callahan Tunnel

There's an entrance to the Ted near the rental terminal.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Callahan Tunnel

Just make sure you know your route prior to leaving the rental terminal. Mist likely your GPS will not work in the tunnel. After entering the Ted Williams's Tunnel follow route 93 South signs. Also, if you have 3 people or more in your rental you can use the HOV lanes.

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Callahan Tunnel

Correction- if you have 2 or more in your rental than you can use the HOV lanes.

usa
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Callahan Tunnel

Thank you all for your assistance. I am so looking forward to coming back to Boston!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Callahan Tunnel

There are two hov lanes heading south. The first is always open and is about a mile long. The second is open weekdays 3-7 pm. Exiting when heading to route 24 can be a little difficult. I often choose to avoid it. If you are not used to driving the xway, I would think about staying out of it.

8. Re: Callahan Tunnel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18