We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Toledo, Ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
Family baseball/Fun Weekend

My husband, 15yo son, and I are looking to visit Boston for a Monday, June 30h Red Sox game along with other fun/shopping. We are driving from Toledo, OH arriving Sunday, June 29th and departing on Tuesday, July 1st. What is our best bet for an affordable, close to things hotel? Thanks for any thoughts and help.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Boston is a very walkable city and we have a great subway system. Nothing is close to "everything". Because everything is spread out. The Buckminster is a budget hotel near Fenway Park.

But, to get the best help, you need to tell us how much per night you are willing to spend

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

"Nothing is close to "everything". Because everything is spread out. "

Huh? I guess it depends on your perspective! :-) Boston's land mass is slightly bigger than half the size of Toledo. I would say that *everything* is close to "everything" - it's a very small city compared to most major cities in the United States, if not the world.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

As Thomas says, Boston is compact and easy to get around by foot and subway. You will not want to or need to use the car. You don't have to worry about being right near Fenway Park either. That said, the Back Bay is probably a good area for you, because most of it is walkable to Fenway (15-20 minutes or so and it has a lot of shopping. There are many hotels there. Budget will dictate where you stay. Hotels in Boston typically run over $200 a night and even higher and on top of that they will charge you about $40 a day to park the car.

Toledo, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Thanks for the info all. We are hoping to stay under $200 if possible. We don't mind driving a little bit since we will have our car. We also wouldn't mind using the T just to give our son another fun thing to say he did.

5. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 12:50
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Www.lastminutetravel.com is a "secret hotel" website where it is easy to I'D the hotels thanks to photos. Also, they say if you phone you will get an additional discounts. The cancellation policies vary, but most reservations can be cancelled up to 48 hours before arrival date.

Using your dates, 2 adults and 1 child, I see two decent options

4 star Back Bay hotel for $166 is the Marriott Copley Place. The photos show a multi level lobby area with the name on one wall, along with a Starbucks logo.

3.5 star hotel for $176 is the double tree near the theatre district. The photos show a coral/pink colored stairway with a sort of "lattice-work" ceiling

Do not be swayed by very low prices on that site. Those hotels call themselves "Boston" but are often outside the city with little to no access to public transportation. Of the two above, I would choose the Marriott

HAPPY PLANNING!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

I would go with the Marriott, too. Factor in parking and taxes and you will be somewhat over your $200 budget, but the location is well worth it. You will appreciate being downtown.

Boston...
Level Contributor
419 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

I agree that the Marriott Copley is a great central location... you can even walk to Fenway (about 15-20 min) walk and most of the tourist attractions.

I wouldn't recommend driving in the city, especially if you are staying downtown. Boston is very walkable, and you can take the T if needed.

I know the Government Center Garage usually has a "park and stay" package where you drop off your car and you don't get it until you leave, and it's around $15 a day. Parking otherwise may cost you $40 or upwards a night.

Kate

BostonOnBudget.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Wow Kate that is the first I heard of the gov'ts center deal. That is good to know since they regularly charge I've $30 for 3-24 hours

Toledo, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family baseball/Fun Weekend

Well, change of plans. I just booked airplane tickets instead. So with that being said, what is my best bet for a hotel? Thanks for any info.