We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

Level Contributor
99 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

I am planning a trip to NY for May30 to June 13 with my boyfriend. We will be staying 9 days in NYC and we were thinking about spending the rest of the holiday (5 days in tot) in Boston and area nearby, in order to get a glimpse of New England.

Can you suggest any nice places or pitoresque towns to visit between NY and Boston or close to Boston?

We are interested in nature, We would like to do the whale watching, and we would like to see not only touristic places, but also places where locals live.

My idea is to go from Ny to Boston by train, spend 1/2 days there and then rent a car back to Ny. do you think it might work?

Also I saw that on these dates in Boston there might be some graduation/opening ceremony. Do you know if it is possibile to participate in any of them?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Ye Olde Tavern Tours
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Boston By Foot
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

Read the postings over the last couple of days. This has recently been discussed multiple times.

Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

Sometimes with a one way car rental ( pick up in one city and drop off in another) the rental company charges a high penalty fee. I would check that first. Regarding attending a graduation ceremony, normally each graduating student is issued tickets for a certain number of seats at the ceremony for their family and you can't get in without a ticket; they aren't usually open to the general public. But, you certainly could walk around a campus and soak in the spirit of celebration!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

If you want to take the train to Boston and then rent a car to go back to NYC - that'll work. As noted, there is often a drop-off fee. Also, most rental companies require you be at least 25. Just FYI.

As for graduation ceremonies - most are pretty boring if you or your family member is not involved. there may be parties and dances, etc., but they often require a ticket. Yale, Brown and Harvard are Ivy league Universities on the train route - Harvard being in Boston. I have not looked up the dates but I think Brown is the weekend of May 25. Boston has many other universities that have graduation around late May and early June, too. If you want to look around getting off at New Haven (Yale) or Providence (Brown) might be worth the effort. RISD and it's museum in Providence next to Brown is also worth the stop.

If you drive back you need to decided on a route. If you go by the southern route Newport is very nice and is a short detour off the interstate. Battleship Cove in Fall River is very interesting, but not picturesque. New Bedford and its Whaling Museum might be worth a stop.

If you go through the middle of Mass, perhaps Old Sturbridge Village would be of interest. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is very pretty - and the name is the longest place name in the USA. (It is also less lyrically known as Lake Webster, but only a philistine would call it that!) There are a few things to see in Hartford - Mark Twain House comes to mind. But, heading to the Berkshies in western Mass and then south on the Taconic State Parkway would be prettier with more to do.

Level Contributor
4,475 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

Moat college graduations in the Boston area require a ticket for attendance. Often tickets are in short supply, graduates are only given 2-4 tickets each. You would not be able to attend most graduations without a LOT of advance planning, and most/many just would not welcome an outsider (sorry).

5. Re: Itinerary in Boston and New England... help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16