We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

Vanceburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

Our family likes to travel US. I will say we are 100 percent tourists. We are driving to Northeast and will arrive in Boston on July 6th, needing to stay two nights. We have Red Sox tickets for Monday night, July 7th. My question is this, we want to stay somewhere that is convenient to public transit and will not break the bank. Right now I have reservations at Doubletree by Hilton-Cambridge. As I am looking around, I do not see that this is close to a subway station. My biggest concern is leaving Fenway park after game and getting back to hotel. Is this doable or should I stay at another hotel? Or should I stay outside city in an area like Braintree and take train in each day? Thanks in advance. Love insider knowledge.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

No, it isn't near a T station; it is out by the Mass Pike highway and due to that location, there really isn't much within walking distance. However, you could drive to Fenway since you'll have your car, but you will need to pay to park it. What is your nightly budget and how many people? We might be able to help with suggestions for places closer to the center of the city to stay. If you stay outside the city, then you need to factor in train fare and parking at a train station, which can add up.

Vanceburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

My goal was $200 dollars a night, for two nights.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

The city is busy for your dates, but here is my best suggestion for you: the Best Western University Hotel. It is $209 per night plus tax for your dates on booking.com, for a room with 2 double beds. It is one of the very few hotels in the city with free parking and it s right on the B train of the Green line, which you can ride directly from your hotel to Kenmore Square, which is the stop for Fenway. A 5 minute walk from the Kenmore T station and you are at Fenway. The hotel isn't right in the center of the city, but the T being right there makes it easy to get around by public transport. It is a basic hotel, not high end or fancy, but it has free breakfast too.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 16:28
Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

You will be happier staying downtown. I checked Lastminutetravel.com for your dates (I used 4 people to a room) and it is showing a 4-star Back Bay hotel for $214. I know by the photos that it is the Marriott Copley Place. You will be able to walk to Fenway from there. Taxes and parking (about $40 a day for parking) will add to the total, but when you factor in the cost of cabs to get to Fenway, or parking at Fenway or even the cost of public transportation for a number of people it starts not to look too bad. Especially, since you are here for such a short time. You will get more out of your visit being downtown.

Vanceburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

Thank you so much. I took your advice and booked the Best Western. I used AAA and even got a better deal. I love staying downtown major cities, but we are trying to save some money. Thank you again.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

For $5 difference a night difference, the Marriott Copley Place is a MUCH better deal and particularly location than the Best Western.

Vanceburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

I received an email from Hotwire today and there is a 4.5 star hotel close to TD Garden for $168 per night. What about that area of town? And do you have any idea what hotel it could be? Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

That hotel is most likely the Onyx Hotel on Portland Street. It is a very nice, boutique style hotel. The area is fine, very close to the TD Garden, Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market and Government Center. You'd be close to the Orange Line of the T also.

I think you'd be happier with the Marriott Copley recommendation above, but the Onyx is better than the Best Western in all respects.

Vanceburg, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

Thank you very much

10. Re: Family staying two nights in Boston for vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 07:15