We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need airport, T, etc help asap please

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Need airport, T, etc help asap please

I've been to Boston a few times but def don't know the city. We usually park at Riverside and take the T in. This time, we need to pick someone up at the airport around noon who will have luggage but want to go into the city and have lunch, etc. What's our best way of accomplishing this with the least hassle? (Need to figure this out before Sunday :) )

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

if Sunday is the day you will be doing this, then you should drive to Logan, pick up your friend and her luggage. Then, drive into the city, park your car and have lunch.

I can't really be too much more specific unless we have more details:

Day of the week

Time of day

Where you want to go for lunch

Are you OK driving in the city

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,070 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

Bestparking.com can help you find parking options near where you want to be in the city. They can even estimate rates for your date and time. You'll notice that Sunday parking is cheaper at some garages.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,089 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

There is a cell phone lot at Logan. You can get there a bit early, park in the cell phone lot and just have your friend call or text you when they're on the curb with their luggage. Cell phone lot has good access to all the terminals and you just swoop in and pick up your friend then head into town for lunch.

Parking in town is easier and cheaper on Sundays. Can't give suggestions for parking in downtown without knowing where you plan to go for lunch.

Columbia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

I prefer not to drive in the city. That's why I was looking for ideas of best way to do this. I thought of driving to airport, leave my car there all day then take the T to wherever we decide to go and back. My sister suggested parking at a T station outside of city, have him meet us there, put luggage in car, then take T into city, but not sure about that either. I'm dragging 2 kids along too :)

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

If you are traveling on a Sunday, unless you have an absolute rule about not driving in the city, you'd be MUCH better off driving and parking. You don't need to be driving around the city, just drive from Logan to where you want to eat lunch and park near there. Leave the car parked while you walk around or whatever.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

Especially since you have two kids along............

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

Leaving your car at Logan or taking your sister's advice sounds like a huge headache. It's so easy to get to Logan. Drive in, pick up your friend and drive to a central parking lot in the city. Don't bother with the T with two kids and luggage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

Are you having lunch only or are you doing a bit of sightseeing? If the first, you could have your friend take a taxi to meet you at the restaurant, then go back to your car on the T.

If you're sightseeing, your friend could take the water shuttle from the airport and store their luggage for free at their office at Rowes Wharf. http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/

But, I agree with the others. On a Sunday, it's easy to drive to the airport then drive back into Boston. Meters are free, but with luggage in the car, I'd probably park in a garage. Make sure the luggage is in the trunk, not visible to passersby.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

I learned my way around the city by going on Sunday driving excursions. It is not that bad.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
641 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need airport, T, etc help asap please

I agree with all of the above posters, but if you REALLY don't want to drive in the city, you could always park at the airport, meet your friend and go back to your car to store the luggage, then take either the Silver Line, which leaves directly from the terminals, to South Station or the Seaport area, or take the Massport shuttle to the Airport Station (Blue line) to either the Aquarium or State Street stop.