We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking expensive in Boston?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Drinking expensive in Boston?

Hi

Is drinking expensive in Boston bars? I have been reading happy hours are banned?!!! What's the average cost of drinks in bars? Beers? White Zinfandel wine and cocktails? Traveling from uk and we are very lucky with prices of drink! Any suggestions? Husband a Guinness or bitter/beer drinker over lagers like bud, corona etc...

Many thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

Yes, it's expensive and unfortunately happy hour is banned in Massachusetts. A corona can be $6. Mixed drinks, $8-10 or more depending on where you're drinking. Wine probably starts around $6 or $7 a glass.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

Yep, it costs a lot to drink here, the ghosts of the Puritans just don't seem to want to leave. Some spots do have "happy hour" pricing on appetizers tho, so you can save a bit there.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

You should be able to find something you like at Jacob Wirth, a favorite of mine:

http://www.jacobwirth.com/menus/beers

Unfortunately they don't post prices online. Last time I was there with a group at some point I ordered a pitcher of Bud in an attempt to save money but regretted it as that beer is so awful.

Whether liquor in restaurants seems expensive to you depends on many factors including the exchange rate but it is much cheaper to buy from liquor stores and drink in your hotel room. The United States is not like Norway when it comes to booze.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

What about Irish bars? Pints of Guinness etc? Is food expensive too?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

Here is the food menu, with prices for Kinsale, one of the popular Irish Pubs in Boston.

allmenus.com/ma/boston/1397-the-kinsale/menu/

Manhattan
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

I don't think the Puritans have anything to do with the price of booze in Boston. NYC has similar prices and it is not considered a puritan city. Prices are high in Boston because it's an expensive city in general, and because of demand--Boston is a drinking city--and people will pay up.

Steve

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

Guinness l typically be 5-6 are a pint. There are plenty of fine dive bars with cheaper domestic macro beers. Coogans, an tains, beacon hill pub spring to mind.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

You also have to factor in a tip with those drinks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
141 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

If you are looking for cheap drinks, let us know where you are staying and we can probably offer some good suggestions close to your lodging.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking expensive in Boston?

I usually head to the dive bars, where some deals for PBR's, and Knickerbocker are sometimes as cheap as $3 a pint. Sullivan's Tap near the Boston Garden is one of then, and the Tam near the theater district is another. T's Pub off of Commonwealth Ave. (near The Paradise Rock club), is also reasonably priced, and a good stop if you are catching a show there....drinks in the club, and clubs in general will be expensive....or the Wilbur Theater where they are ridiculously expensive.