We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in early Sept with little kids?

My husband and I want to drive from Ontario, Canada to the Boston area in early Sept. We'd take about a week in total, maybe 8-9 days at most. We have two little kids who will be 10 months and almost 3 years old at the time. We definitely want to fit in 2 nights at the new Great Wolf Lodge opening in the area (about an hour outside of Boston, I believe).

We were originally thinking of 2 nights in Boston, 2 nights at Great Wolf and 2 nights somewhere else - maybe Martha's Vineyard or...??? We're open to suggestions. We know nothing about the area.

Another possibility would be to do 2 nights at Great Wolf, 3 nights in/near Boston and then an extra travel night, and do a few little day trips along the way.

The only "must-dos" on our (*cough*-my husband's-*cough*) list is Fenway Park. He *really* wants to see a game, but that would definitely mean an afternoon game with the 2 little ones (and quite possibly, leaving early). The other alternative would be a tour (my husband would love to do both but I think that's too much of our time with the little ones...). The only 2 games in our week there are a Sunday afternoon game against the Blue Jays (which we'd love to see but the official tickets are already sold out except for standing room only) or a Weds game against the Orioles (which would be fine).

If we happened to arrive in Boston on the day of the game, is it safe to leave our car full of all our gear at Fenway Park while we're in at the game?

Any suggestions for our trip would be GREATLY appreciated! Also tips on where to stay would be awesome too. :)

Thank you!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

The two little ones will not survive a baseball game. Sounds like you won't either, How about hubby goes by himself? And never leave your car anywhere full of stuff. That applies to Ottawa, too. Just too tempting. In the trunk out-of-sight is okay. The kids will like the Boston Carousel, Aquarium and Children's Museum, all of which are around the Harbor. There's a playground and fountain in Christopher Columbus Park as well. And of course, Quincy Market - everybody likes that! Marriott Long Wharf, Marriott Custom House, Boston Harbor Hotel, Harborside Inn are all in the vicinity.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Get your husband a standing room ticket and take your little ones to the Childen's museum.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Car full of stuff would mean trunk and roof rack (with two adults and two carseats there's not much room in the car anyway!). So, out of sight, although if we're in a high-risk area we'd usually empty the roof rack at the hotel and leave it unlocked, so any would-be thieves can open the rack without damaging it and find it empty. However there will be plenty of places where we'll be travelling and have to leave it full. I just wasn't sure if Fenway was a high-risk location for break-ins, as sports complexes can be sometimes.

I'll have to discuss the idea of hubby going to the game alone with him. It's a thought, although I would actually be keen to go too... It's just not a deal breaker for me. The kids have been ok at hockey games, we just take lots of breaks walking through the stadium. However I'm sure a children's museum would be a hit!

I read about some swan boat rides and a Duck tour - any feedback on those? We love doing a bus tour of new cities we visit, but the Duck one looked interesting, and maybe more child-friendly?

Oh, also one of the hotels I was looking at said there was a zoo nearby - is it a decent zoo? Or betted to check out the museum or aquarium or something?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

I'm not sure why you are asking us, as you seem to know what you want to do, but I'll try one more. The Duck Tour is not aimed at kids so little, but they will enjoy the swan boats and feeding the ducks and squirrels.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

I wouldn't leave anything in the roof rack with the car parked at Fenway. As for walking around the stadium I found out here that is a very unpopular thing to do. So, I wouldn't plan on lots of up and down or you'll apparently drive the people around you crazy. The duck tour sounds like a good idea. I've actually never been to the Franklin Park zoo so can't comment on it. But, the aquarium is fun for people of all ages.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

I'm asking because we *don't* know what we want to do.. just throwing ideas around. :)

Thanks for the tip on not getting up and down at the ball game, that's actually really helpful.

It can be hard to plan a trip without knowing what the attractions are like. For example, if the swan boats are something special or just sort of gimmicky. That's what I was hoping to learn from those in the know. :)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Personally, I think that the children at that age will be a lot happier with a week on the Cape. A bucket and spade and some sand and water and there you go !! I wouldn't waste my money on a stay at Great Wolf Lodge at this time in their lives. Same goes for Boston. They won't know whether they are in Boston or Ottawa. Perhaps try to fit in a game for your husband if that's important to him, but there will be other years when the children are older and will want to go with him.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Hi there. I think that if the game is a once in a lifetime thing, you should do it. Just be prepared, as you say, to leave early if you have to because sometimes they do drag on. I do agree with the other posters, however, that you should not leave anything within sight in your vehicle. Kids car seats inside are OK, but no luggage on the roof rack. It is too tempting. The area around Kenmore isn't unsafe, but it is still a city and there will be lots of all types of people wandering around. Don't make it easy for them.

Also, the only zoo in Boston is the Franklin Park Zoo, which is located in a neighborhood that I would not recommend for a tourist. What is the hotel that mentioned it? I've never heard of Great Wolf but i see that it is a water park in Fitchburg, MA, which is just about an hour west of Boston. I think one night there would be practical, if the kids would enjoy a watermark. To be honest, Fitchburg isn't an enjoyable place where I would want to spend time as a tourist. It is a lower income community and there really isn't much there for visitors.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 22:22
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

Waterpark, not watermark. Darn autocorrect!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston in early Sept with little kids?

You should take in a Sox game if you can. You can buy tickets on Stubhub or Ace ticket. You will pay a little more but it would be awesome for you to see your team at Fenway. You can always walk around with the kids on the concourse if they get antsy. I think they would enjoy the Aquarium and also the Children's Museum. I would also plan a Duck Boat tour and the Swan boats. You can do two nights in Boston and head to the Cape. There is a hotel in Hyannis with a waterpark,

www.capecodderresort.com/cape-cod-lodging.php

Early September is still beach weather around here so you should enjoy some time relaxing on the beaches. If you want to make a trip to Martha's Vineyard, you can catch a ferry out of New Bedford and wouldn't have to travel down to the Cape.

http://www.seastreak.com/

There is a nice Marriot on the waterfront. The ferry is across the street.

marriott.com/hotels/…

New Bedford also has a very nice zoo.

http://bpzoo.org/

Be careful about leaving anything in the car anywhere. Put the valuables in the trunk.