We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

cheshire UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

Party consists of me and 2 sons ages 15 and 11. Staying at the Midtown. Will have access to vehicle. Have booked tickets for baseball on the evening of the 21st. Also have tickets for the tea party which can be used anytime during our stay. Am considering the duck tour, ghost/haunted Boston tour, probably see one or two historical sites and poss visit the top of the Metropolitan building. Can anyone recommend anything else my kids may like that is a Boston 'must do?' Also is the Childrens museum suitable for their ages? Would ideally like to drive down to Cape Cod stopping off at Plymouth Rock. Can anyone recommend a mini itinerary for our vist to Cape Cod, I suppose we could spare most of one of our days, which are the nicest towns to visit with a nice safe beach for the kids? Please let me know of any other travel tips for Boston or Cape Cod, thanks in advance.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

Your kids are unfortunately too old for the Children's Museum, which is best for under 10s, but they would probably like the Science Museum. It has a Planetarium and also an Omni Theater with an enormous spherical screen, so you feel like you are part of the movie. Also, you can walk the Freedom Trail. The USS Constitution is at the end in the Charlestown Navy Yard and if you take a guided tour, you can go below deck, which is fun. Also, there is the USS Cassin Young in the Navy Yard, a WWII destroyer that you can board and walk around inside to see the various quarters and the gun decks. With just a few days to sightsee, you might just spend your Cape day in Plymouth. There is a lot to see there between the Rock, the Mayflower and Plimouth Plantation. There are also beaches around Plymouth.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

There is no Metropolitan Building. How about doing more than just one or two historic sites and do the Freedom Trail?

Boston...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

I second all of BooKat's suggestions. I may also add that a ferry to Boston Harbor Islands (to Georges Island)or a visit to Castle Island may be fun. Both spots have castles to explore and aren't too far away.

How far down the cape do you want to go? With a car, I'd recommend Old Silver Beach in Falmouth... it's not too bad of a drive from Boston and you could do a beach day and stop at Plymouth on the way back. Plymouth Rock isn't too impressive, but Plymouth is fun and could be a good stop for dinner and seafood.

cheshire UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

Hi, thanks for your messages I will investigate. As i say we arrive Monday lunchtime and departing Thursday morning. I have bought tickets for a Red Sox game on the wednesday night, cost was about $60 for the three of us so well impressed-we are in the upper bleachers though but we are on a budget! Have also bought tickets for the tea part experience that can be used any time during our stay. Thinking of buying tickets for gravestone tour for Tuesday evening. Also intend to walk the freedom trail and bvisit the prudential building. We will visit ape Cod on the Tuesday or Wednesday, erring towards Wednesday so we can find our feet a litlle bit first! Given our evening itinerarywe wont want to be travelling too far along the Cape but luckily everywhere on the ape sounds great! Thanks for your responses

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

What about a boat out to George's Island and explore Ft. Warren? Or, perhaps Boston Light? They might like Harvard Sq., and Harvard.

If you go to Plymouth, Plimoth Plantation is the highlight, then the Mayflower II - the Rock is a bust.

Might they be interested in the New Bedford Whaling Museum? Or, Battleship Cove in Fall River?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

I agree with everything that has been suggested. For boys that age, i would recommend the USS Constitution, Harvard Square, and the Science Museum in particular. There is a Dave and Buster's in Braintree that I think they might like - I have only been to D&B's in Texas and Georgia but it's the sort of thing my son liked when he was in his teens.

I'm not sure what the fascination with the Cape is per se. It's a nice place for an extended vacation but not terribly interesting as a day trip, I don't think.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

I assume you will go to Provincetown in Cape Cod by fast ferry from Boston? If so, definitely do an Art's Dune

Tour. Your family might enjoy a Boston Duck Tour, too. Your 11 year old might be able to steer the boat once it dives into the Charles River. Freedom Trail is a must do. My kids enjoy climbing the Bunker Hill Monument. Also, if you do tour the USS Constitutuion make sure to have ID as it is on a US Navy base.

Enjoy!

8. Re: 3 night stay in Boston 18-21 August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16