We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Just curious how reasonable it is to stay a bit outside of town and park at the subway stations, and commute in? Is there ever parking available? (I checked the MBTA website, it showed that "Butler", "Mattapan" and "Milton" stations have parking with availability ranging from 58-83%). Just wondering if a) this is accurate and b) where would be good options to stay and then commute?

We'll have two young kids and are driving in so will have a car. We'll also have a double stroller for the kids and are fit and happy to walk places. We'd love to find a decent place to stay for less than $150/night in early Sept.

Are there any locales in particular I should be looking? Or if anyone has specific recommendations that would be awesome too. :)

Our other option is driving in and parking in the city; I'm guessing this is more expensive but since I know nothing of the transit system - is it worth it? Would it save a lot of hassle?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,730 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

You don't want to get on the train in Mattapan. If you stay in the suburbs, Quincy like I mentioned in the other post works, as well as Braintree. The T is around $2.50/person each way I believe. To park at the T station costs around $8 I think. So, you're talking $18 round trip for the two of you plus parking plus the hassle of taking the T. I'd just drive in since you have a car and park at one of the garages. It'd probably end up being slightly more, but worth the time and headache you save. Other people can suggest places on the north shore. I live south of Boston so am only familiar with the places I mentioned.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Sorry, I'm not sure which other post you mean? I will hunt around and see if there are other similar ones...

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep brushing up on my geography and keeping an eye out. :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Ahhh, just saw the post on cutting costs, that must be the one you mean.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

$150 could be an unrealistic budget for a family of four in september

even if you stay in the 'burbs. September is pricey but some dates will be more expensive than others.

If you'd like some specific suggestions, provide your exact dates. Prices fluctuate dramatically

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Sept 8-11 (it's a Mon-Thurs).

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

If you can swing it, staying downtown is best. You are right in the thick of things and can pop in during the day to rest or change before dinner, etc. This might be especially handy with the kids. But, the hotel will charge you about $40 a day to park.

As far as staying out of town, you can take a look at the Hyatt Park Place in Medford. They have shuttles to the Wellington and Davis T stops, but for the convenience, you probably want to take the 10 minute drive to Wellington and park there. I think it's about $6 a day. Fare for adults is $2 with Charlie Card (It is going up in July I think by a quarter or so.) If the kids are under 12 they ride free.

If you drive in, parking on weekdays is going to run you around $30 a day.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

Does anyone have any experience with The Longwood Inn? http://www.longwood-inn.com/rooms.html Rates look reasonable and only 1 mile from Fenway Park? A "short walk" to the Green Line?

I will check out the Hyatt too, thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

The Longwood Inn is a good, safe, location, a short walk to either the D or C trains of the Green Line. You're also near Coolidge Corner (Harvard and Beacon St. on the map) where there are shops and restaurants. It's also near a playground if that is suitable for your children.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

I agree with ting's comments above about the Longwood Inn. I have never stayed there, but a few years ago, we hosted a work colleague there and he enjoyed his stay very much.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in 'burbs, park at T stations? Good transit?

I think the Longwood Inn is a good idea for you. Some of the other reasonable ideas are further out and get pretty time-consuming to'ing and fro'ing. Here, you're about 15-20 minutes by subway from most things you'll be doing downtown, in case one of you wants to get back if things aren't going well with one of your kids. And in addition to the resources mentioned, if you walk over to the intersection of Longwood & Brookline Ave., there's an indoor food court just inside with Chinese, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonalds, Mexican, Subway, Indian, Middle Eastern, sushi fast food places. I wouldn't have thought of it, but ^ ^ ^.