We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4days in Boston

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4days in Boston

Family of 4 (2 adults, 2kids (15&7)) travelling to Washington for 4 days, followed by 4days in Boston and 4days in NYC. We are looking for attraction suggestions suited for all of the family. We are interested in culture, shopping (we heard that clothing is tax free?) and anything else that is suggested, because we don't know much about the area. Also, what is the costs of food and the attractions whilst here please?

Thankyou

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4days in Boston

Clothing below $175 an item is not taxed. Even above that, the rate is only 6.25%, so not a major factor anyway.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4days in Boston

Clothing is sold tax free in Mass. on items costing up to $175. Over that, the portion over $175 is taxed. What do you mean by "culture" -- history, art, theater? Also, when will you be here. Some activities are seasonal. As far as cost of food -- gee, you can eat off the Dollar Menu at McDonalds or spend $100+ per person a fine dining establishment, so I don't really understand the question. And, of course, every attraction will have a different price.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4days in Boston

Thankyou for clearing up the Tax question; because we were from the UK, we don't have much idea on anything at all. We are going Mid-End of August. By culture we mean history, and art sort of things. We don't really want to be eating in McDonalds much as its not really our thing; the average kind of restaurant or diner prices really ( sorry if that is of no help ) We were just looking for a comparison to the UK prices I suppose.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4days in Boston

I suggest you look at the things to do list or get a guide book and let e h family member see what is of interest. You can also read others' trip reports. Once you get an idea of what interests you, we can help you put together a plan

There is a lot of Amercan Revolution Historical Sites in Boston. There is the Public Garden, the Swan Boats, Whale Watches, Science Museum, Art Museums, and so I on.

Happy Planning.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4days in Boston

Is there a particular reason you decided to do 4 days in each city? NYC is BIG and there are huge numbers of things to do. People generally spend less time in DC and Boston and spend more time in NYC.

Don't get me wrong... I love Boston and lived there for a long time, but I would give it fewer days than NYC. Same goes for DC (though I don't feel any level of expertise on that city).

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4days in Boston

Because the price decreased by so much and we were recommended this kind of itnery

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4days in Boston

I am going for the weekend, here are the things we are planning on doing.

First day:

- Lunch on Newbury Street (possibly check out Stephanie’s)

- Duck Tour ($35)

- Visit the Top of the Hub bar for drinks – hopefully for sunset.

- Dinner in the North End (“Little Italy” section of Boston)

- Cannoli at Mike’s Pastry or Modern, drinks at Café Paradisio (all in the North End)

Second day:

- Breakfast on Boylston or Newbury Street

- Walk the Freedom Trail or join a walking tour (check freedomtrail.org for more info)

- Lunch at the Warren Tavern (oldest tavern in America)

- Visit Bunker Hill Monument/walk to the top

- Repeat first night =) (we can't get good Italian food where I live!)

With kids, you may want to check out the Children’s Museum, Aquarium and/or the Museum of Science. If we were staying longer I might also invest in the Old Town Trolley vs. the Duck Tour b/c I believe it gives you 2 days of basically free transportation (hop on/hop off type tour).

Hope this helps!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4days in Boston

Here's a menu from Joe's American Bar & Grill, Newbury St. location. It is a small local chain. I'm not particularly recommending it, but it is a mid-priced place with a varied menu. It can give you some idea of prices.

joesamerican.com/index.cfm/…10315

As for attractions: Here are some:

Freedom Trail

Museum of Fine Arts

Institute of Contemporary Art

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Whale Watch

Duck Tour

Swan Boats in Public Garden

Museum of Science/Planetarium

Harbor Cruise

Codzilla high-speed harbor cruise

Prudential Building Skywalk Observatory

Shopping areas:

Copley Place Mall (high-end)

Prudential Center Mall (connected to Copley Place Mall)

Newbury Street

Downtown Crossing (moderate, bargain -- H&M, TJ Maxx, Macy''s+

In Back Bay: Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Talbots, more

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4days in Boston

I am planning a trip for Sept with two little ones, who will be 9 months and almost 3. From what I can tell based on feedback for my trip, older kids would probably really enjoy the science museum, while the children's museum might be on the young side (locals, feel free to chime in and correct me!). Personally, I would probably first plan the NY portion of the trip and fill in the Boston and DC stuff based on that. For example, you can find museums, art, aquariums etc in many cities. You an only find Freedom Trail in Boston, though. My family always enjoys starting a trip with a bus (or other type) tour -gives you a good overview of the city and usually the most important historical bits too. We plan on doing the Duck tour in Boston just for something different. Sports are huge in America so don't overlook the possibility of catching a sporting event. They say nothing is as American as baseball and apple pie and Fenway Park in Boston is the oldest one in the US. You could always tour the stadium ($16 I believe) for the "feel" and history, or catch a game. We got grandstand tix for a mid-week afternoon game for $20 a piece on stubhub.com.

Hope that helps! As you get closer, be sure to ask specific questions on this forum. The locals are absolutely amazing and have been so helpful. The more specific your question, the more they can help.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4days in Boston

Alcoholic Beverages are expensive in the U.S. and most places require identification (Passport for non- US residents) to be served. Even if you are obviously of age, some places will refuse to serve you (especially at sporting events.)

Also, in the U.S., tipping is excpected at sit down restaurants ( roughly 18% is the norm - higher for great service lower for sub-par service)

Yes, with four days, stick to attractions unique for those cites. The Freedom Trail is a must in Boston (it is relatively, a free attraction - some venues along the route require a small admission charge but most do not.

You will need ID to tour the USS Constitution (a US historicsl navy vessel) Your kids might enjoy the climb up the stairs of The Bunker Hill Monument - Both of these attractions are free and are on the Freedom Trail.

Boston Public Garden, The Swan Boats, Beacon Hill are all unique to Boston.

Going to a Red Sox baseball game at Fenway Park would offer a great taste of Boston and America!

While you here, you might consider a ferry ride to Salem, MA, too.

Enjoy!