We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itinerary help for this week

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need itinerary help for this week

My family of 4 will be coming to the Boston area for a quick 2 day trip this Thursday and Friday. We have a list of things we'd like to see/do, but I'm trying to figure what is realistic to fit in, and the logistics of getting to each location. We have a 5 year old and 3 year old, and will have our car. We are staying in Woburn which I know isn't the most convenient, but we are on a budget for this trip.

Here is our list:

-The Children's Museum

-Boston Common & Public Garden- wanted the swan boat rides but apparently they don't start until this Saturday I think?

-USS Constitution

-Some of the Freedom Trail, assuming we would walk some of it between destinations?

-Quincy Market

-Castle Island

-Harvard Square

Any suggestions for planning our day(s) or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

What time will you be getting into Boston Thursday from Woburn and what time do you have to leave Boston Friday?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

We will be getting to Boston mid morning on Thursday and we are leaving mid morning on Saturday- staying 2 nights.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

Children's museum is free after 5pm on Fridays, gets more crowded but would save money since you mention a budget. Double check with them about this Friday, I highly doubt they'd close early for Good Friday but better safe than sorry.

One day I'd do USS Constitution and Quincy Market area. That gets you some of the Freedom Trail and you can explore as much of it as your kids can handle. While in that area you should take the kids on the carousel on the Rose Kennedy Greenway, right across from Quincy Market towards the water. $3 per person. In Quincy Market there are at varying times street performers the kids might enjoy as well as stores like Build a Bear, Funusual and other places that will probably keep them entertained if they start to get bored. You could visit the Aquarium this day if you wanted as it's nearby.

The other day you could do Harvard Square, Boston Common, Public Garden. Not a ton of stuff for the kids in Harvard Square but they'll have fun running around the Common and Public Garden. Check out Make Way for Ducklings statues on the Public Garden. The swan boats will be in the water Friday so the kids can at least see them but you're correct they don't open till Saturday from what I read this morning. If you don't want to do Children's Museum Friday night I'd do it this day.

Saturday morning, depending on timing, you could maybe drive over near the Public Garden and try to get on the swan boats (it will be crowded on opening day) if it's something the kids really want to do. As for Castle Island, I think all of you will like it there. The castle's not open yet for tours I believe. I'd do this whichever day the weather's nicest. You could do this Thursday or Friday evening or even on your way out of town Saturday. Free parking. There's Sullivan's restaurant there (not a seated restaurant) so if the weather's nice you could get food and sit on the backside of the castle by the pier and see the planes land and ships go by. Sullivans has burgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers and that type of food. We spent all of Sunday afternoon there and it flies by, an inexpensive way to kill an afternoon playing tag, skipping rocks on the water, using the playground, etc.

The Big Apple Circus is in town on City Hall Plaza (right near Quincy Market) during your stay but I'm guessing that plays down your way at some point but that's another option if you'd like.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,272 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

I would drive do the Childrens Museum and Castle island on one day. On the other day I would park in the Boston Common Garage, see the Public Garden and quincy market and then take the subway to Harvard Square.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

I meant to add that you're probably better off driving into the city each day and parking because commuter rail from Woburn is $12 R/T per adult each day so that's $24 each day (kids free) without subway fares. You could possibly drive to a subway station outside the city and take it into Boston but with the kids that young it might be more hassle than it's worth. You'll have traffic to deal with but I think driving in is the way to go.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

I like Forgotmypword's suggestion - Castle Island and The Boston Children's Museum on the same day, but I would go to Castle Island on the warmer day. The Boston Children's Museum Is only $1 on Friday nights (but this weekend, there will be tons of tourist in town, for the marathon, so it might be very, very busy.) Maybe you can squeeze in Harvard Square this day, too. There is a wonderful playground right next to Harvard Square in the Cambridge Common (Alexander Kemp playground). 

Do the Boston Common, Boston Public Garden and Freedom Trail on the same day. The 'unofficial' start of the Freedom Trail starts at the Visitor's Center at the Boston Common. During your walk along the Freedom Trail, after Quincy Market, go a little off route of the Freedom Trail and cross the street to the Greenway Carousel to the New England Aquarium to take a view of the harbor seals outside the Aquarium. You might want to take the Inner Harbor Ferry to/or from Charlestown (the "unofficial " end of the Freedom Trail) where you can tour the USS Constitution and visit The USS Constitution Museum (very kid friendly). Make sure to plan a meal in the North End (part of the Freedom Trail) if not a meal then a visit to a North End bakery is a must (cannolis are the most popular item.) 

Enjoy! 

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

Thank you all SO much, this was so helpful, exactly what I needed!!

Now we may have a slight change of plans after going over all of this with my husband- I am considering forking a little more money out and staying right in Boston Friday night instead of both nights in Woburn so that way we can spend more time there Saturday morning instead of heading right out of town.

I will likely do Priceline since I usually do that to get great deals in NYC but just in case, does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in a convenient location that would be under $200?

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

You might have a difficult time finding many options for that price this weekend because it's Marathon weekend so you should check various sites throughout the day and if you see a hotel that fits you should check the reviews on tripadvisor and if good, book it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

I don't think it's supposed to get out of the 40s on Thursday and Friday so remember to take heavy jackets with you. Castle island is surrounded by water (obviously) so it can get mighty chilly walking around there.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need itinerary help for this week

I ended up getting the Hyatt Regency for Friday night for $150+tax!! It seems like a good location, I'm so happy we made the change even if it's just 1 night!

Thanks again everyone!