We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

Just a note of caution to those renting out cars from this Enterprise outlet. I did a walk in last week and was looking for a compact/mid size car for rental and was taken out to the parking garage to select the car. I picked a compact (can't recall the exact model) and was taken back inside to complete the paperwork. I took full insurance and was charged $250+ for a 2 day rental (Friday - Sunday). I was surprised and remarked that it was very expensive compared to Enterprise rentals I've done in other cities in the past and was told that it was because it was expensive in Boston.

So I signed it and was taken out to the garage and was told he would give me a complimentary upgrade to a Chevrolet Malibu, which I said OK. It was only later when my local Boston colleagues told me that I definitely overpaid that I looked at the paperwork - and it said Model: Malibu on the form!

So, it was maybe partly my fault that I should've looked closer at the forms and asked more questions, but up till that point, my dealings with Enterprise has always been positive.

Car was ok, and I dropped it off on Sat evening using the key drop facility.

Just though I'd post a friendly reminder for people to look closely when dealing with these guys in the future, I know I will.

Cheers

Jason

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

If it's any consolation, I understood what you were saying too but at the time I couldn't be bothered to comment, I'm in Bermuda if that's any excuse. It's years since I have rented a car and I have to say that it's something I would rather not do. Always a bit of a hassle even when it goes relatively smoothly.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

You didn't get screwed. They wouldn't give you a contract with a car different from what you received. Unless you are saying that the contract was printed and signed by you BEFORE they said they were giving you a malibu.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

That's exactly it. The contract was printed and signed then we went out to collect the car and to check the condition/fuel. As we were walking into the parking garage he said he was giving me a free upgrade to a Malibu, which I then said OK, not knowing that it *already* said Malibu on the form I had already signed.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

people select cars off the lot after signing the rental agreement ALL THE TIME. there is no way that it specifies a Chevy Malibu or whatever. at Alamo you walk out to a particular row of vehicles and select the car you want. enterprise works much the same way - I remember doing this at Enterprise in LA - you choose which vehicle you want in the garage.

I agree with the OP that they were ripped off.

In fact it can get worse: at Alamo in Denver I had prepaid for a Jeep Cherokee or similar through Costco, did all my paperwork, and then walked out to the designated row of Jeep Compasses and Ford Escapes, none of which I would consider to be "full-sized SUVs" like a Jeep Cherokee. a similar feeling of being ripped off which I should have and could have contested on the spot, but didn't.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 17:33
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

No, it's sounds like they're legit, if I'm understanding the chain of events correctly:

1) You agree to a compact for $250

2) He prints out the contract which says Malibu, doesn't tell you yet

3) You walk to the Malibu, and he tells you you're being upgraded to that car

Now, I suppose he took a risk that once you got to the car, you would have said "No! I hate Malibus! Give me the compact!", and he would have had to re-write the contract for another car. But I think he quoted you the price for the compact and just went ahead and wrote up the paperwork for the Malibu. As already mentioned, cars are already expensive in Boston, and you got the walk in rate. $250 sounds about right, unfortunately.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

They wouldn't need to rewrite the contract if the customer chose something "less than" a Chevy Malibu (what on earth would be that I don't know!). Like I said, at Alamo in Denver I paid for a Jeep Cherokee but took a Jeep Compass. That's just the way it goes.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

I agree with Jason that you really have to watch the contract and just what it is that you are signing. In fact this is a good reminder to me. Usually on vacation (Boston) we rent with Enterprise and are happy but one time for business I went with Enterprise and the clerk actually stuck his thumb over the veribage where he wanted me to sign. Thank goodness I took the clipboard out of his hand otherwise I would have initialed that I was buying their expensive insurance. In Boston I had so much trouble with the manager at Thrifty once that I had to ask them to take me back to the airport before they would honor my pre-reserved arrangements and rate and don't get me started about Alamo at Logan where I have had several dramas with the clerks who do not want you to leave until you have purchased an upgrade.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

Sometimes Boston rentals are $250 just for one day. It's really high, but it's true. Renting in a downtown location like that, you get a lot of expense account types who don;t care. I'm sorry this happened to you in Boston, but you need to make a reservation, print it, bring it with you, and know the price beforehand so you don't get surprised.

19. Re: Enterprise @ Prudential Center - Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16