We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July week/weekend in Boston

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July week/weekend in Boston

Is Boston more crowded and lodging more expensive or harder to come by during the 4th of July week/weekend than any other typical summer week?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

Yes.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

It is a busy week however we were able to stay at the Park Plaza a few years back for a deal. So it certainly does not hurt to try.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Park Plaza
Boston Park Plaza
2,738 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

Business travel is way down that week so it is worth a look.

If you tell us your exact travel dates, number of people in your travel group, how many beds you need (can 2 people share 1 double bed) and your preferred budget per night, we can help you look.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

IMO, I think it's lighter than at many times. Bits of data that others can put together as they see fit: Hundreds of thousands of locals and "semi-locals" are in town for Harborfest, the Boston Pops, the Constitution turnaround, all the fireworks, and sometimes other coordinated patriotic festivals. But they are focused, and they don't stay. I live in town, and otherwise it's very quiet. And there are lots of empty parking spaces. So, I come down on, "...doesn't hurt to try," and "...it is worth a look". Again, our peaks are fall foliage and graduation seasons, and marathon weekend. Summer's busy, but I think least so over the Fourth. But the tourism people here know the actual hotel occupancy.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 17:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

If you are where the activities are, then yes, it's much more crowded. However, if you prefer not to partake of the fireworks, concert, and related festivities, you might find that areas typically crowded with good-weather toursts are actually less so---because everyone's at the Fireworks, etc. If you plan accordingly, you could do well avoiding the worst of the crowds.

It is prime visiting time, so expect hotels to be full, etc.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

I probably should have been more specific.

I'm in the DC area and on the 4th a lot of locals go down to the mall for the fireworks and concerts, folk life festival, etc.. The Smitsonian Museums right around the mall are more crowded that day. Stuff away from the mall no worse than any other summer week. Some tourists avoid that week because of the hugh mall crowd on the 4th.

It sounds like from some of the replys that it is a similar situation in Boston.

7. Re: 4th of July week/weekend in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16