We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help please

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help please

I'm going to spend a couple of days in Boston on June 16 and 17 on holiday as I'm in the US on business beforehand. I've been to a few places in the US before but have been quite shocked tonight with the hotel prices in Boston. Do you think I have any chance of getting a hotel or b&b in the city with my own bathroom for $200 per night (ideally including tax), in all honesty that is more than what I wanted to spend but having done some research looks like i will have to spend at least that.

Any ideas/advice, much appreciated. Cheers.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help please

Check the hotel sites such as kayak, hotels.com, e c. What you see is what the prices are in June. It is high tourist season, also this is a convention city and there are a variety of such meetings going on that week.

I found Constitution Inn for 155, a good location albeit in Charlestown, but still close to downtown; Chandler Inn for 188, I found Brookline Holiday Inn for 212 which I think is excellent value for the location. The Marriott Courtyard in the Theater District is only 219, an excellent deal also.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help please

The Chandler is a good quality, clean hotel, a decent deal and the location is good, easy walking distance to a number of very good restaurants and a short walk to Back Bay. The rooms are very small, but if there is just one of you that will not be a problem. It is best if you don't have a car as overnight parking can be expensive.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,860 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help please

John Jeffries House def well below $200 p.n. incl tax and is very good

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help please

LastMinuteTravel.com has the Doubletree by Hilton Downtown for $178 + tax. That's an "available" rate (vs "on request", which can be a long shot). It's the 3.5 star downtown hotel with 267 guestrooms.

It's near the Theater District and Downtown Crossing. A convenient area, though not the most charming. It's a short walk to more pleasant areas. Not the best hotel, but not the worst. They have recently renovated rooms. I don't know whether all rooms have been completed. Read reviews.

For a bit more, you could stay at the Park Plaza. It's the 3.5 star Back Bay with 941 guest rooms. 212 + tax. This will probably be one of their "petite" category rooms, so don't have high expectations. The hotel itself is lovely and in a great location. Rooms can be tired and the small ones can be awkward.

If you are a woman traveling alone, you'll feel more comfortable around the Park Plaza late at night vs the Doubltree. There's really not a serious risk of crime there though, it's just Park Plaza is in a more vibrant and pleasant area.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help please

The Oasis Guest House is basic but very nice accommodations in the Fenway neighborhood, close to transit and all the touristy areas in the Back Bay. The price range is right in your alley.

http://www.oasisgh.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help please

Thanks for the suggestions, will look to book on Monday after I book my flights if my dates stay the same.

Not sure about LastMinuteTravel.com - doesn't seem a reputable site.

In terms of location, I'll be going to watch the Red Sox, maybe on the 16th, where I'll also go to the Lower Depths Tavern and Bukowski Tavern for some beers. Next day go to Cambridge Area see Harvard & MIT and have some beers Lord Hobo and Meadhall, and Cambridge Brewing Co. Next day Harpoon brewery by the Boston Inner Harbour, so by my reckoning the location of where I stay doesn't seem too important as three key places that I'll be visiting are in three completely different areas. So this should give me more flexibility to get a good deal.

Also looks like a B&B may be the way to go and book direct as presuming I'm not seeing most of them on the regular hotel sites as they don't want to pay to go on those sites.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help please

The Harpoon Brewery is pretty close to the Tea Party Ship on the Waterfront. And given the small size of Boston/Cambridge these are not really such separate areas. It is a 15 min ride on the Red Line from downtown Boston to Harvard Square, it is a 20 minute ride to the Fenway park area on the Green Line.

B&B's are listed here on TA or else google Boston B&B for various sites.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
75 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help please

Lastminutetravel.com is very reputable, I've used it twice in the last month and had no issues whatsoever. I plan on using it again soon. If you do book with them, make sure you print your confirmation email, if there are any issues at all checking in at the hotel they give you a phone number to call and they will fix your issue.

Happy planning!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help please

If you don't mind a hostel, Friend's Street Hostel is pretty cheap!

http://www.friendstreethostel.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel help please

Hi Jigs,

I, too, have used Last Minute Travel many times and they are reputable! In fact, I just booked a hotel in FL thru them as we were leaving on a cruise April 1st and there were no problems! As noted, print out your confirmation email from LMT. I also call the booked hotel just to confirm on that end but have not had problems using them. I also booked a hotel thru them for our stay in London a year ago. Many friends have booked w/ them as well. You can also call them to make your booking but as you are out of country may not be as easy for you.

The rates others have quoted are very good for Boston!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 14:41