We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderate priced seafood

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Moderate priced seafood

My sis and I will be in town the first week of May. Mapping out our plans we found few seafood restaurants on our lists. Staying in Back Bay area, would love to explore the waterfront and find mid-price favorites of the locals. Any ideas? Summer Shack, McCormick and Schmidts Happy Hour are the ones thus far. Others Parish Cafe, near Public Gardens and checking out Groupon for options in North End.

Greek, Thai, American, Italian, we are open to suggestion!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Italian Seafood ... Daily Catch. Mare.

Although reality is almost all restaurants will have some.seafood on their menu. I haven't been to the No Name in 20 years and I was not thrilled with my last visit ... but I caught it on one of those food shows recently and am thinking of giving it another shot. If they are still in business they mist be doing something right.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Legal Seafood is a moderately priced local chain with reliably good quality seafood; not gourmet foodie level, but very good and there is one in the Prudential Center Mall in Back Bay.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moderate priced seafood

I like both Summer Shack and McCormicks. Their happy hour is a great deal (food only). There's no alcohol happy hour in MA.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moderate priced seafood

SkipJack's, across the street from Trinity Church, which is on Copley Square in the Back Bay, has a lunch/earlybird menu with good seafood prices. [I have no connection with the restaurant.]

You mention the Parish Cafe. It's famous for having several Boston chefs contribute sandwiches and light dishes to the menu. Otherwise, it would be in the category of, as forgotmypword says, "... reality is almost all restaurants will have some.seafood on their menu."

Edited: 26 April 2014, 03:21
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Im not a local ('though wish I was!!) but for what its worth, Legals is great. In addition to suggestions already made, I'd add Salty Dog at Faneuil Hall and James Hook.

enjoy.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Since my wording seemed to imply that I was ONLY looking for seafood, I appreciate all the suggestions and info. When we travel, we really like to do the local restaurants rather than the usual chains or touristy places.We'll be there from Sun to Thur, hoping to find several good reasonable maybe even memorable places to explore. Legals' and other places mentioned are now on our list of possibles.

Again, just trying to get in with the locals,whatever type food we are craving! And not worried about Happy Hour drinks as we just do a glass of wine with dinner now and then. Past the "party hardy" stage of our lives!

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moderate priced seafood

I'm betraying my heritage here but I always get great inexpensive seafood at Irish pubs. You get a giant plate of food and I've never had a bad meal, literally, at any of the pubs in the city. I typically get fish and chips or a broiled or baked platter or whatever. It's never anything fancy but you get a giant plate of good food for short money.

Non-Irish pubs can also be good. My most recent dinner out was at the Beantown Pub, which I typically avoid because of "beantown," like it must be a tourist trap because nobody I know who grew up here calls Boston Beantown. Like, how corny is that? A friend from out of town wanted to go. I went. Well, boy was I surprised by how good it was. Two of us got broiled haddock and it was lovely. So there.

Legals is good but I don't consider it moderately priced at all. They're expensive but it's very good. More formal atmosphere, everything to the highest standards...

Edited: 26 April 2014, 19:35
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Might not be the exact place you are speaking of but I understand there is a Irish Pub in our hotel, the Lenox. Might check out prices and food there. We don't go fancy or top priced because here in Texas(Houston for sure) even mid or low price places serve LOTS of food. In fact, I usually end up taking some of it home just so I am not overstuffed or have to spend ANOTHER hour at the gym! Sometimes my sister and I just order one entree and split it so we have room for either appetizer or dessert, depending on how decadent we are feeling!

I believe we'll have a great time in your city and look forward to a memorable trip. Its a first for both of us and we are pumped!

MA
Level Contributor
168 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moderate priced seafood

Solas is the name of the Irish Pub at the Lenox. Nice pub and decent food.

10. Re: Moderate priced seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15