We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
508 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Boston

I will be flying into Boston early AM 7/1. My mom is meeting me there with a car (neither of us are familiar with the area). We'd like to cram in as much history, culture, and sight seeing as possible. We don't care much for sit down restaurants if it will take us away from other more important things. We'd rather grab something from a food truck and see more sights!

We will need to catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard before the end of the day (she's got that handled, so I don't need help with this portion) so if someone could help me with a timeline from 9am-4pm of the most important sites/things to do, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,070 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Boston

Make sure your mom is counting on commuter traffic to the ferry. You may want to leave earlier than 4pm.

For what to do, walk the Freedom Trail. Not only is it fascinating, it brings you through a number of interesting neighborhoods. It will give you history, culture and sight seeing.

The food hall inside Quincy Market is huge, and has a lot of great options for quick food on the run (including lots of good local food -- this isn't like a mall food court). Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall is on the Freedom Trail.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Boston

Park at the Boston Common Garage and walk the freedom trail.

I agree, leave extra time for your rush hour commute.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Boston

I'd recommend you wait to pick up the rental car until you guys are ready to leave to go to the vineyard. Otherwise you'll have to pay to park somewhere. You don't want to be driving around the city.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Boston

If you've not been before grab a trolley or duck tour but dont get off, just do the tour as an orientatiln of the city. Then use your time walking the freedom trail grabbing eats in either quincy market or the north end. Finally, plan a return trip as one day will only whet your appetite for the best city in the world!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
508 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Boston

My mom is working in MV over the summer, so she'll have the rental long before I arrive. Thanks for the heads up on commuter traffic! I forget that the rest of the world doesn't stop just because I'm on vacation :)

We were talking about taking one of the trolley on/off tours to figure out what we want to see more since it sounds like a few hours just isn't enough to see much. Guess we'll be spending the night in Boston! I suppose I should start a new thread of 'where to stay to see it all'!

Thanks everyone!

6. Re: One Day in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17