We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

I'm going to be in Boston for a conference the second week in May. I will have a free afternoon, six hours, available for sightseeing. My conference is at the Hynes Convention Center. I won't have a car, and am not opposed to walking a couple of miles, or taking a cab.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

You could walk along Newbury or Boylston Streets, through the Public Garden and Boston Common/Beacon Hill, along part of the Freedom Trail, through Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, through the North End and back along the waterfront by Long Wharf and Boston Harbor Hotel or through the Greenway. Plenty of places to stop along that route that vary depending on what you like- Boston Public Library; plenty of shops; Swan Boats; loads of restaurants and coffee shops; lots of historical sites. You could taxi back to wherever you have to be at the end of it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

Consider a Duck Tour that leaves from the Prudential Center right by the Hynes. It's about an hour and a half. You will get a quick overview of the city fast. I think it's recommended that you book in advance.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

I would take the T from Hynes to Park St and then walk the Freedom Trail from the start. Six hours is plenty of time to walk it and then spend sow time exploring Quincy Market and the North End, with its many Italan bakeries, cafes and restaurants.

If it is a rainy day, you might prefer not to do an outside walk. In that case, I would suggest taking the T from Hynes one stop to Copley and switching lines to the E train to go the the Museum of Fine Arts and/or the beautiful Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum nearby.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

check this website out for things to do. Boston Public Library can be an interesting place to visit.

www.starthereboston.com/Attractions.html

I always suggest taking a trolley tour if you only have a limited amount of time in Boston. It will give you a nice overview of the city and you can get on/off if you have time.

starthereboston.com/Attractions-Map-Back-Bay…

There are lots of historical things to see right where you will be for your convention -

www.trolleytours.com/boston/…

bostonsupertours.com/upper-deck-trolley-tour…

We purchased our tickets right near the Prudential Center and boarded the trolley right outside the door. Think this would give you the best option for seeing the city w/ a limited amount of time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

wegoplaces.com/things-to-do-near-copley-plac…

lots of nice ideas on this website! Good luck. Enjoy Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

From Hynes, I would recommend walking down Commonwealth Ave (you can walk a few blocks on Boylston and/or Newbury too and then cut over to Comm Ave) and then into Public Garden and then cross over to Boston Common and walk over to the bottom peak where the State House is and you will see the Freedom Trail. Walk the Freedom Trail to Faneuil Hall. Depending on time and hour, consider grabbing food at/near Faneuil Hall or the North End. Have fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

All depends on what you want to do. You can do a duck tour to cover lots of places or pick one or two things to really see.

If it were me, I'd wander Newbury Street and through the Public Garden and Common and then head down to Faneuil Hall and the Waterfront area near the Aquarium, Christopher Columbus Park, that part of the city.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

Yeay Caroline -- we need the answer to "What do you want to do"?

There are great museums, walking about, shops, churches, restaurants, universities...

If it were me, I'd walk the Freedom Trail and grab some tasty fried clams or a lobster roll along the way. But you may want to see Harvard, have a fat burger at Mr. Bartley's, or hit the Gardner Museum... all great choices.

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

I second public library. Short walk from conference. The old section like a museum with a courtyard and cafe.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are must sees during six hours in Boston.

Here is a website with some great suggestions at Boston Public Library.

www.yelp.com/biz/boston-public-library-boston