We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Help for Army Enlistment

My son is going to enlist in the Army National Guard on Friday at the Barnes Building

495 Summer Street. Is there reasonable parking close by? Don't mind having to walk a bit. Thanks for your help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

There are still a few open lots left between Northern Avenue and Seaport Boulevard, which tend to be more reasonable than the rest of the city. I'm not sure whether they get filled at any particular time or empty out in the afternoon, but I have no idea when you would be coming anyway.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

There are lots of meters up there. If there is nothing going on at the convention center, you should be ok. Otherwise, you will need to pay to park in a garage or lot

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Thanks! Forgot to mention it is this Friday. I don't have a time yet but can't imagine it's going to be late in the afternoon. I'm thinking it should be late morning.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

There are some 2 hour meters on both sides of Summer Street from the South Station area up to the Convention Center - the Convention Center is about a block away from the Barnes Building; depending on the time of day you are arriving and whether there is an event at the center, you may be lucky enough to get a meter. I know there is a parking lot behind the Fargo Building - this is a building directly behind the Barnes Building. I don't drive/park there so I don't know whether its use is exclusive to the Fargo Building or possibly used by Barnes Building visitors as well. Can your son check on this with his recruiter?

Best wishes to your son on his enlistment.

BOSTON, MA

Barnes Building

495 Summer Street

4th Floor

Boston, MA 02210

Phone: (617) 753-3100

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Unfortunately, there is a rather large event going on at the Convention Center the day you plan to be in the area:

May 8-10

AARP National Event & Expo - Life@50+ 2014

Estimated attendees:

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Here is information about the Fargo Building parking lot, behind the Barnes Building....

parkme.com/lot/26950/seaport-center-parking-…

Seaport Center Parking Surface Lot

Address

71 Fargo St

Boston, MA 02210, USA

Daily Rates

Daily With Validation

$12

Daily Max

$15

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Omg ... how could I forget about that. They have been advertising like crazy and annoying my daughter because my husband and I are over 50 and still have teens. She keeps saying that she is way too young to have parents going to that and, don't they know that "50 is the new 40"?

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Great, an AARP convention. I just turned 50 last year and have teens so forgotmypassword, I'm in the same boat. :) Yes, 50 is the new 40 or even 30. :) Thanks for all your help and good wishes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Those lots near where you're going are over by congress street and are a flat rate of around 16. Boston meters around the lot between congress and northern ave are good for 4 hours.

A year ago, the marine industrial garage near harpoon brewery was $6.00 for the three hours, $9.00 for the first six hours.

It's about a ten minute walk. Walk up northern ave past Yankee lobster then left after legal test kitchen.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Help for Army Enlistment

Got a meter near Fargo today so it worked out perfectly. His enlistment was delayed until to today and I was glad not having to deal with the AARP convention. Thanks for your help.