We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
253 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

This might be considered an odd question, but we are trying to plan a trip from Seattle to Boston. It is imperative, we meet an old pal and his wife close to NYC. They are very dear friends, and I am trying to save the burden of them travelling from St. James, on Long Island. After getting a hotel for 2 days, we would likely head back to Boston to rent a car, and go north for the remainder of a 2 week vacation, in September. If it is easy to get out near the end of Long Island, that would be fine, also.

We live in a rural area, and don't take well trying to driving in mega cities. Hopefully north of Boston wouldn't be too bad to drive? Any information would be more than appreciated. Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

Why don't you rent the car earlier and do your Long Island trip with it, too?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

I don't understand your question. You want to meet some friends in New York but you are flying into Boston? How are you getting to New York? Wouldn't it be better to fly into New York, spend time with your friends and then fly or get the train to Boston and fly home from there?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

I'd be driving to Long Island as well...

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

You could rent the car when you land at Logan, drive to Connecticut and take one of the car ferries to Long Island, drive to St. James, and then after your stay there take ferry back to Conn. and drive anywhere you want north of Boston. Don't worry about the driving, it's easier than you think around Boston and you'll be mostly on highways.

If you're spending any of your time actually staying in Boston, then I wouldn't use the car for that portion since the MBTA is easier than a car in Boston.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
253 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

I guess I forgot to mention, we would be looking for train travel, I guess, from Boston, in the hopes of getting to NYC then maybe further on to Long Island. The idea of the ferry from Mcctripper is a dandy, and may work very well. All we are trying to do, is avoid the likes of driving across or through large cities, like Los Angeles. We had no choice once, and it was not a pleasant experience.

As always, the TA gang is a book of knowledge. Thank you all very much. Any more advice, would be great.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

If you fly into Boston, rent your car at the airport, get on the highway and head south. If you stay on 95 all the way to Connecticut, the only city you will pass through is Providence, which is the size of a postage stamp compared to LA. Just stay on the highway. If you take the Bridgeport ferry, you need to drive by New Haven, but the highway there hugs the coast so you don't go through the city ( it is tiny anyway).

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

Still don't understand why you are driving back and forth to New York. Is there some reason for flying into Boston? None of my business I suppose.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
253 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

To answer Senior's question, I had originally thought of flying into NYC and departing from Boston. You have to sympathize with us, as we live in a small community, smack dab on the west coast, and have 3 stop signs between our home, (which most folks don't stop at) and the nearest gas station, so big city's cause discomfort. I think we may be capable of getting south of Boston, where we could get a ferry to Long Island, in a rental car. We travel a fair amount, and seldom rent cars, unless on Maui, or San Jose del Cabo. For us to drive down to NYC, would be like driving across London, for us. I have looked at maps, and the less stressful we can make it, the better. Any information fellow TA members post is very much appreciated.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

To avoid the rental car, you can take the Silver Line bus from Logan Airport into the city to South Station, where you can get the train to New London ( check fares and times at Amtrak.com). The train and the ferry have stations in the same transportation terminal in New London, which makes transfers very easy. Take the ferry from New London to Orient Point, NY. There is a bus that stops at the terminal that connects to a nearby train station. You would need to see if your friends could pick you up or if you could get to their town by train.I don't know if there are any car rental places near either ferry terminal.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Landing in Boston, heading for NYC

The least stressful way would be to fly into NYC, visit your friends, take the train to Boston and then fly home from there. I assume that if you originally thought of doing that it's not possible for some reason. All the driving and ferries do not make much sense if you are not comfortable driving and could get very complicated.