We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

Plymouth, Michigan
9 posts
Save Topic
2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

I am flying into BOS from Dubai by Emirates reaching BOS on 2:45pm. My next connection is via JetBlue to Detroit at 4:42pm. That gives me a 1hr 57 mins layover during which i will have to go through immigrations and transfer my bag as well. Do you think it is possible? Should i be worried? Has anyone done something similar?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,008 reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
636 reviews
from US$76.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

If Jet Blue leaves from terminal E you should be ok, but no guarantees. If you need to change terminals, then, in my opinion, it is cutting it way too close.

Thing is you never know how long it will take to get through immigration and customs.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 10:35
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

@taisha27: JetBlue leaves from Terminal "C", one terminal from Terminal "E", a walk, a long walk, from Terminal "E". Otherwise, if one takes the inter-terminal free bus, it's a counter-clockwise circle around all the terminals to get back to Terminal "C", about 15-20 minutes.

This is fairly tight connection for two separate itineraries. If you're already locked in, two things you can do are to look at the on-time arrival record of your flight, and look at JetBlue's schedule to see if there are any later flights that day. Emirates itself may have the flight's on-time information, and there are other independent sites that do. And re JetBlue, still stipulating that you're locked in to your current itinerary, the reason for looking at its schedule is that there's something called the "unofficial flat tire rule" in which, if you're "reasonably late" they'll put you on the next flight, no charge. (But they don't have to.) Being late because of this kind of connection is something that airline staff are familiar with when people are interlining (two unaffiliated airlines).

Now, on arrival at BOS, you still may have to pick up your bag one place, walk a few yards, clear U.S. TSA security, and put your bag on another belt. I'm not sure if this is so, connecting through BOS, but it's the way it works connecting in Washington, DC, where I come in from Europe. This is just to point up a "pinch point" in your connection.

All this said, good news is that Emirates and JetBlue are partners. At least their loyalty programs are. Which improves your chances of being kindly accommodated. And maybe your trip is all one itinerary ("PNR")? If so, your chances improve immeasurably, and you shouldn't have to worry about all the above advice, because you'll get the best advice from the Emirates agent at your arrival gate.

Last: Be sure you're getting loyalty miles/points for the trip. There are a lot of them, and you never know...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

If you don't make it, don't play the lottery while here. Yes, you should make it.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

First, check when the next flight to Detroit is from JetBlue, just in case. You may even opt to make the change if it's convenient. Secondly, since you're presumably flying on separate tickets, you'll have to bring your luggage to Terminal C yourself. You'll also have to go back through security. More time spent....

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

And JetBlue may have no change fees, though I'm not sure if that's just for their elites.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 13:43
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

If Emirates arrives on time, then your immigration line will be fairly empty, as there are not many international arrivals at that particular time(unless there were some earlier delayed flights). If you do not have any immigration issues(meaning US citizen with no Visa etc), it might be comparatively quick. But it would still take at the bare minimum 30 to 45mts. Keep in mind that, even if you clear immigration fast, you might still need to wait to pick up the baggage.

I did arrive by Emirates couple of months ago, I noticed that the immigration line was little empty compared to JFK, WAS etc (only emirates passengers), so the immigration officers seems to spend more time with each passengers compared to more crowded times ...

If you are lucky, you might be able to make it, but as others pointed out, if you do not want to take chances then maybe you try changing your connection.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

If you can walk with your bag and not have to wait for the shuttle, you should be okay. Terminal C (Jet Blue) is about a 5-10 minute walk from Terminal E.

To get an idea of how to transfer, take a look at the information on this Logan Airport video: massport.airportwayfinder.com/index.php…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

Emirates and JetBlue are partners. Hopefully this is all ticketed on one itinerary? If so, then your bags should be checked through to Detroit, and you should be able to re-check your bags immediately after you pass through customs.

If this is an independent ticket on a different itinerary, then you will have to worry about meeting minimum check in time requirements for your checked luggage.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

What day of the week is it?

10. Re: 2hrs enought to get through immigration & make a connection?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:16