We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester UK
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

Hi. There has been a lot of disruption today at British airports because of a terror alert. This has resulted in my having to alter my flights at the last minute so that I will be flying from Manchester, England to Boston instead of to JFK where I was to meet up with the rest of my family. My question is this: what is the best way to travel from Logan airport to Plymouth where we will be staying? I am travelling with my 7 year old son. We will be arriving at midday on a Sunday.

If you're kind enough to help me with this, perhaps you could also offer some advice about child-friendly attractions in the Plymouth area. We are staying for 10 days and there will be four children in the party ages 7,5,3 and 2 years.

Many thanks for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

You'll find suggestions for things to do in the Plymouth area with kids in my response last night to another UK traveler

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g41773-i1164-k7405…

Wishing you well on your travels!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

The easiest way to get from Logan to Plymouth would to rent a car and drive south on Route 93 then Route 3. Despite the stories of bad driving and traffic in Boston, highway driving on the weekends is not much of a problem at all. If you would prefer not to drive, public transportation is possible but cumbersome and might have too many transfers to be a good option with several children in tow. You can take a cab or public transportation to South Station, where you can get a train to Plymouth. You will most likely then need to get a cab from the Plymouth station to your destination, as the station is not in the center of town.

The biggest attractions in Plymouth by far are Plimouth Plantation and the Mayflower. Both have period correct interpreters and are wonderful for children. There are several whale watch cruises out of Plymouth Harbor, but the "pirate" cruises are especially geared toward children. (Plymouth Rock is near the Mayflower and the boat cruises -- while famous, it is just a small rock and not something to plan your trip around.) Pilgrim Hall Museum is a small history museum with Pilgrim artifacts, and it has treasure hunt pamphlets to help children of different ages respond to the exhibits. The town itself is fairly small but has many little shops to explore. Plymouth Beach is also a good option with children.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

Not too far away is Edaville Railroad. I was just there this weekend withmy 2 boys and had a great time. (The food was pretty gross but the atmosphere makes up for it)

www.edaville.com

4. Re: Travelling from Boston to Plymouth with my son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 02:16