We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Hi guys!

After reading through the majority of hotels in my price range I have narrowed it down to these choices. I will be going to Boston to move into school housing but I will be with my boyfriend so I want to make sure we have some time to enjoy the city together too. I will be spending two nights at a hotel and I was wondering if you guys had any input as to which one would be better (Royal Sonesta or Hilton Boston Back Bay) We don't have much time before I start orientation so I want to be in a good location and since we have a car, I found these hotels which offered a package with free parking.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Hilton Boston Dedham
Hilton Boston Dedham
1,096 Reviews
Dedham, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

The Royal Sonesta has nice views of Boston, but is actually located in Cambridge. If you want to really be in the city, go with the Hilton.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 11:09
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Both are convenient to public transportation and that's what matters most. Is one of you at least 21. (I ask because you said you are a student) If not, check with the hotel. Some require you to be 21 to check in.

Happy Planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

If it helps, Royal Sonesta is in the MIT neighborhood & Hilton is in the BU neighborhood.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Hilton is really not in the BU neighborhood, although it is walkable from there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

The Hilton is also located within walking distance of Northeastern, Berklee and many other smaller colleges. It is also very nicely located for seeing major sites including Fenway Park, which you may want to tour or see a game while you're here. I agree with Alan, stay in Boston.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 13:49
Mentioned in this post
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,238 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Hilton is the better location.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

I'd say the Hilton has a better location. It's more in the center of things. The Sonesta is somewhat isolated, in a spot along the Charles river, and it's not close to very much of interest, except maybe the Museum of Science and the Hatch Shell. Go with the Hilton.

Mentioned in this post
Charles River
Charles River
679 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Museum of Science
Museum of Science
2,882 Reviews
Boston, MA
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for the input (and concern- I'm moving to Boston for the year for graduate school so I definitely meet the age requirement). I will go with the Hilton! I've never been to Boston and now I feel very lucky to be able to be a student (and tourist) for a year there. Thanks again everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
9. Re: Royal Sonesta vs. Hilton Boston Back Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:17