We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

10 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

I'm looking for some itinerary feedback and suggestions. My husband and I are visiting Boston, staying at the Boston Park Plaza, and are history nerds as well as beer aficionados (him more than me, but I'll never say no to a good brew!) Also, we are very active and don't mind walking - we walked 4 miles to the next town and back over during our Maui honeymoon...multiple times! That said, here's what we have so far:

Arrive Sat. Oct. 4 at 2:45 p.m.

Check in at Hotel

Explore area around hotel including Boston Common, sites around the Common (maybe the first 2 or 3 stops on the Freedom trail?) and grab a bite to eat and some brews (Jacob Wirth, Parish Cafe, Green Dragon, Union Oyster House and Bell in Hand are all on our list to visit at some point).

Sunday Oct. 5

Grab breakfast at the hotel (plan on stashing some breakfast items in the room)

Take the T to the JFK Museum for spend 2-3 hours (is this too little? too much?)

Take the T back to Boston Common to start Freedom Trail

End in Charlestown to get food/beer at Warren Tavern

Monday Oct. 6

Walk to Fenway (my calculations have it around 2 miles from our hotel) Grab a bite to eat on the way. Take a tour of ballpark

After tour, visit Boston Beer Works and/or Dugout Cafe.

Walk to Cambridge (another 2 miles I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).

Explore Harvard Campus/Harvard Square (any recommended Brew pubs!?)

Tuesday Oct. 7

Take the T to Sam Adams Brewery for a Tour

Stop by Doyle's Cafe in Jamaica Plain

Any other suggestions??

Wednesday Oct. 8

Open for any remaining items that are left to do. I somewhat left it open as a contingency plan if the weather messed up our plans for the other days. Suggestions are welcome.

Thursday, Oct. 9

Leave early A.M.

Two things that we would like to fit in if there is time would be a preseason Bruins game (obviously the schedule is not out yet, but husband is a Bruins and Celtics fan...although I much prefer NHL to NBA) and the Harpoon Brewing Company Tour (which is 2 miles from our hotel from what I can tell... walkable? worth it?)

Any and all suggestions or tips would be great! Thank you!!

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
CityView Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

As history nerds you might want to see if you you can work in George's Island and Fort Warren - weather permitting.

What about the Adams National Park in Quincy?

Kennedy Birthplace in Brookline, too.

A bit off the beaten track - maybe take the commuter rail to Lowell for the National Historic Park on the Industrial Revolution...really unexpectedly fascinating.

Work in the Boston Public Library and Trinity Church in Copley Square when you are in the Back Bay. Both are quite lovely and Trinity is HH Richardson's masterpiece of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture which was so popular at the end of the 19th century.

CT
Level Contributor
138 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

Options to consider if you love beer.. A tour with Boston Brew Tours (www.bostonbrewtours.com). They do the driving and you get to enjoy multiple breweries/food. Included breweries vary depending on the day but often include both Sam Adams and Harpoon. Tours last 4-5 hours and pick up and drop off is right on Boylston Street in Boston near a T station. If you would rather not give up as much of a day, a visit to Meadhall in Cambridge is a must. Huge selection of beers.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

What bama said!

Definitely George's Island, maybe with a stop and walk around Spectacle Island first. Definitely make a stop at the Boston Public Library, as well as, the Museum of Fine Arts!

Do check out and use the MBTA if it makes sense. Boston is a great walking town, but the T may save you some time and allow you to spend more time seeing things!!!

Check out the schedule on the USS Constitution. As I recall it is either closed one day or at least tours below deck aren't available - might be Mondays - but I could be wrong.

Try to walk the length Commonwealth Ave between Kenmore Square and the Public Gardens. It's a divided road way w/a park running the length in the middle, lots of statures and foliage that time of year. Take this route in at least one direction to Fenway Park. Also when visiting Fenway, do walk over into The Fens (which is a small river and park area running it's length. At least visit the Victory Gardens, where locals have tended little plots of veggies for decades. Great way to meat some "real" locals!!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

I highly recommend the Harpoon Brewery tour. I prefer it to the Sam Adams one, though Sam Adams is more famous than Harpoon. You can walk to the Northern Ave location from South Station. They serve delicious big pretzels and have several beers on tap in their new beer garden.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

For "history nerds", consider taking the commuter rail to Concord to visit the Old North Bridge, Concord Museum, The Old Manse, etc. Then, take the trolley to Minuteman National Park to walk a bit of Battle Road, see the Paul Revere Capture site , Hartwell Tavern and the excellent short movie at the Visitor Center about the events of the beginning of the American Revolution. Take the trolley on to Lexington to view Battle Green and any of the 3 Colonial homes open there, and back to Concord.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

All of these are great suggestions! Thank you! JFK's birthplace and the brewery tours are definitely added to the list! I'll take some time to explore the other options as well. Thank you all so much for your insight!

That said, is my current itinerary too heavy/light on any particular days? I have no idea how much time to allot for certain things (the museum in particular), but I suppose it's all relative to the interests of the particular person.

And thanks for the tip, Kevin. We are definitely willing to take the T to save time, but in instances where many sites could be explored in one trip (such as Commonwealth Ave, Trinity Church, Boston Public Library while walking to Fenway), we are definitely not afraid to walk a few miles to see several sights/neighborhoods in one day. Maybe I should have clarified!

Thanks again!

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

Hi Rebecca,

No need to clarify, I knew what you meant and for sure the walk from the Public Gardens (and/or the Common or Beacon Hill) to Fenway is very doable! BTW, as you walk Comm Ave from the Public Gardens to Fenway, you'll see it's about 7 or 8 blocks where the road is divided by the park. After another block, you'll see a road angles to the right and there is a road overhead. Take a left there (before Kenmore Square). You'll come to the Fens in another block or so an will walk into the Victory Gardens. You'll see Fenway Park off to the right a couple blocks.

As for the itinerary, by the time you arrive and check in, most of the Freedom Trail sites will be closing up. I'd stick to checking out the Common and Public Gardens.

I'd say 2-3 hrs at JFK Library is about right.

I wouldn't walk from Fenway to Harvard. It's doable but it's a haul. Get the Green Line at Kenmore Square go back to the Common and catch the Red Line out to Harvard. You may consider a visit over to the Harvard Museum of Natural History.

And finally, if you do take in a Bruins or Celts game, the Fleet Center is relatively close to the end of the Freedom Trail (actually between the end and the middle, near the North End), but consult map. Might make sense to do part of the trail, grab a good dinner and head over to the game.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

Fleet Center?!?!? Kevin! Come into the 2010s please! Fleet bank was gobbled up by Bank of America YEARS ago ...It is TD Garden ... or as people around here like to say "The Garden" .... just like i the 'Olden days" only with a/c and without mellting ice and "sweaty" floors during hockey and basketball playoffs.

Just teasing!!!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

Actually, here it's "The Gahden"! ;)

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Feedback for October Boston Trip

ForgotmyPW,

I actually wrote Boston Garden 1st. LOL!

BTW, what's the Music Hall called these days? Wang Center ;-)