We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from West Point to Boston?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from West Point to Boston?

My brother and I are travelling up the East Coast in September this year. We would like to go to a college football game, and I've heard that Army games at Michie Stadium are amazing. There is a game the day we were planning to travel from New York to Boston so I thought that would work into our schedule nicely.

What is the drive from West Point to Boston like? (I'm asking as I've heard bad things about the NYC to Boston drive). By this I mean, are the roads decent, is the scenery nice, are they ok to drive on at night as well as during daylight, would there be a lot of traffic on them after the game?

I've listed this in the West Point forum too but the Boston one is evidently much more active!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

Exactly what bad things did you hear about the roads between NY and Boston? Of course the roads are "decent". Why wouldn't they be okay to drive on at night? Traffic? More dependent on the rush hour implications of nearby cities than with West Point traffic.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 04:30
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

Well I wasn't really asking about the NYC to Boston route, I've just heard it's not a great drive.

I wasn't sure if the drive from West Point to Boston would be on smaller roads which can be harder/more dangerous at night (lighting, wildlife, I don't know that's why I'm asking). Also in some parts of Australia, certain major roads are known for being poorly maintained, I wasn't sure if there were similar issue in the USA which locals tend to be most aware of.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 04:59
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

West Point would be a little deviation for you from the major highways. You would take smaller side roads to get there, but the first point of order for any set of directions would be to get you to one of the major interstate highways as quickly as possible. This is more for speed purposes more than anything else.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

The drive from West Point to Boston is not a problem and no trouble with poorly maintained roads. I would take the Bear Mountain Bridge (with is just south of Highland Falls, were West Point is located) to US 9D and go north to Beacon and pick up I-84. Take that east all the way to I-90 (Massachusetts Turnpike) and follow that into Boston. Piece of cake.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

Agree with Owl, I've made this trip, it's easy.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

The whole region from Washington to Boston is usually referred to as the Northeast Corridor and is one of the most heavily urbanized areas of the world. It's not like Australia where everybody lives in discrete big cities with pretty much nothing in between. The drive from New York to Boston is not particularly scenic but it's hardly a remote area. :-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

There certainly are more scenic routes that you could take if you had the time, such as up Route 7 to the Mohawk Trail but if time of the essence take 84 to 90.

8. Re: Driving from West Point to Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:17