We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
3 questions on Boston Red Sox

1. I will be going to a game next month, and seems there are tickets available for both night games and day games. Would you advise going in the night or day? I can be flexible.

2. There seems to be cheap tickets available, would you advise buying the cheapest tickets and if it's not sold out just move to better seats? I've done this at MSG once when a game wasn't close to being sold out, other times I've not when it's pretty much a sellout.

3. If I went during the day I could buy upper bleacher, presumably easy to go down to at the very least lower bleachers?

Cheers.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Red Sox are currently on a losing streak (ugh...10 losses in a row!) they are not selling out, so tickets shoud be easier to get. I would advise going to the night game just because most of Boston's tourist attractions close early. You can have time to tour the city in the day and enjoy the game in the evening. I like your idea of getting cheap seats and hoping to score empty seats during the game.

Enjoy!

Edited: 26 May 2014, 16:39
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,608 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

I agree with Remay and it looks like it may go to 11 games.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Thank you very much. Glad you haven't frowned on my idea of walking to better seats. Just noticed they have the $15 tickets for the Monday night as well as the Wednesday day, online it adds to $26.50. One of my pet hates is having to pay additional costs for tickets, I see the site charge a 'convenience fee' and 'processing fee', equating to $11.50. If I bought direct from box office would I bypass those fees? Obviously the risk is they sell out, but sounds like that isn't likely.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

I took the tour yesterday and people next to me were buying tickets at the window. You could try that when you get here and if you can't get them just buy them online at Ace ticket. There is a pickup location near Fenway. I would do a night game too so you can have all day to tour around Boston. I personally don't like when I have spent a fortune on a seat and you paid nothing to sit in the bleachers and then you've moved to a better seat. I for one think you should sit in the seat you paid for but if you want to take the chance, the worst that can happen is the people who paid for the better seats show up. You most likely won't get to move to a better seat. Even though the Sox aren't winning now, the ballpark is full of tourist who want to go to a game.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Correct, when you buy direct from box office there are no additional fees.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

My niece and her husband bought some of the cheap seats that they were offering a couple of weeks ago. They were in the upper bleachers. As the park was not full, they walked around to check out other locations. They were standing in some of the standing room only seats, when a woman from the Sox walked up and gave them tickets for nice grandstand seats behind home plate. It was something they were doing that night for people in standing room spots. So who knows? You might get lucky!

I actually appreciate the Sox allowing people to move to better seats. Nothing irks me more than to be in another ballpark, see boatloads of empty seats, but not be allowed to move, even late in a game. Why leave empty seats near the players and leave people out in nosebleed seats? As long as people move when the rightful owners arrive, I don't see any harm in it.

japan
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Hi Jigsinsy, we are a family of 3 from Worcester UK and visited Boston 8-17 May this year. We stayed in Coley Square and walked to Fenway Park Ticket office to purchase tickets for the game on 16 May against Detroit Tigers. Our tickets luckily were under cover as it poured down with rain halfway through the game so were very fortunate not to get wet. I think we paid about. We paid $165. The staff in the shop and ticket office were very informative and friendly, however the steward who carried out searches when gaining entry to the stadium was very rude, its a pity as we were trying to enjoy and understand the culture of American baseball. I didn't take his name fortunate for him as his customer services skills need enhancing. There is so much going on inside the stadium; not like UK cricket where silence is called for when play is in motion. When we left the stadium, we made a huge mistake of getting into a "black cab" without asking the price back to Copley Square, he didn't have a meter either which made us very anxious. when he stopped he tripled the price of the fare that a white cab charged us for our journey to the evening game. White cab was $12 and the dubious black cab charged us $35 shame on him!! you really must go see a game it is a real experience. Enjoy your trip & the game.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Call me a dinosaur, but baseball is better during the day. The heat of a summer day just loosens everything up (players, spectators, beer drinking, hot dog eating, etc.) in a way a night game never quite achieves. All other things being equal, I would recommend a day game. Admittedly, things like other activities or how much of a fan you are ...even the forecast... can affect the decision.

As for moving into better seats - it's a time honored tradition. Early in the game they are more ticky about showing your ticket for a box seat. As the game goes on, they loosen up a bit. One thing to consider is to get cheap grandstand tickets with an eye toward lower box seats later in the game. The lower box seats at Fenway are so close to the action that they are a real treat for a major league stadium. If you want to yell at the players - they'll hear you!

Edited: 30 May 2014, 15:27
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

I much prefer night games. Moving to a better seat is not something I have ever done and not something I am inclined to do.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 questions on Boston Red Sox

Don't know how much of a fan you are, but my experience is scoring makes the game more fun. You have to pay attention, but there is still plenty of time to socialize. Bring a pen or automatic pencil (for the smaller point than a regular pencil), buy a program and enjoy. Here is a website on how to score:

…mlb.com/mlb/…keeping_score.jsp

Who knows, you might be rewarded with something unusual like a balk or a passed ball - or even the great granddaddy of rare plays: an unassisted triple play.