We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

My wife and I will be staying in Plymouth for 6 nights and gravitate from there.

We're planning a couple of days for Boston and a couple for the Cape / Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard.

So I've got 2 questions...

Is there a better / best itinirary for visiting the Cape?

Is it better to get to Boston by car or leave it in the suburbs and take public transit? and if so, where?

Thanks in advance. :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

For getting to Boston consider driving to Braintree or quincy and taking the subway's red line from there.

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Are you going to be flying or driving down from Montreal?

I personally would stay on the Cape and somewhere in the middle, say Hyannis. That way a day trip to anywhere on the Cape is a very treasonable drive. I am not saying staying in Plymouth would mean long drives, just staying on the Cape will make things easier.

As far as Boston goes, I would recommend driving to North Quincy station (it's on the red line) and parking for the day to head into Boston. It's a short ride into downtown from there and has plenty of parking right at the station. Even if it's a week day, the lot never is completely full.

You of course could always drive into Boston and that would mean spending more money to park all day in a garage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

I'd recommend staying a couple nights in Boston and a couple nights on cape. You really don't want to do all that driving back and forth.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Not exactly directly answering a question you asked, but you might keep in mind that your dates (can) overlap Boston's Harborfest.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Thanks for all your answers.

We'll be driving from Montreal and the hotel in Plymouth is already booked.

So far, the plan is to take the Red (North Quincy it is!) to Boston on 2 different days, the ferry to Provincetown for a day and finally, the Hyannis region by car.

It's mostly flexible so we'll make sure to check for Harbourfest (thanks for that suggestion Firewind, I didn't know about it. :) )

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Just so you're fully aware, driving from Plymouth to North Quincy will be a half hour at least and then taking the T from there into the city will probably be another half hour (depending on how busy it is/delays/etc). So you're talking an hour commuting each day. Is there a ferry from Plymouth to P-town or are you going to Boston another day to take the ferry from there? If it's the latter, just drive from Plymouth to P-town instead.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

There actualy is a ferry from Plymouth to Provincetown.

As for the T, I still have to check the schedule and decide what would be best.

I have to consider returning time to Plymouth if I want to enjoy the nightlife a little.

As I said, most everything is flexible but an hour commute doesn't throw me off.

It's the coming back part that gets me thinking.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

As I mentionned before, our trip is flexible. We'll arrive a day early.

I've just booked us an evening cruise and a night on the Liberty Clipper for saturday the 28th.

I've found the link on the Harbour Fest website and it looked like fun !

Any good overnight parking near the Aquarium?

Edited: 29 May 2014, 01:36
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

The Harbor Garage is located next to the Aquarium, so I suppose that would make them good.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston area June 29th to July 4th...what to do?

Well, thanks to all for your answers. I fell we're (almost) ready for the trip.

See you all in 4 weeks !

:)