We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
321 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

Hi everyone

we're arriving in Boston in a week with our 6 yr old daughter. Here's an outline of the places we hope to visit, please comment on the feasibility and help to re-jig if necessary (based on proximity). If I've left out some other nice attractions or places to go, please feel free to add in too. We would need family-friendly dining recommendations too.

8 June Sun

Arrive Boston, check into accommodation at South End. Freshen up and head out for the Boston Duck Tours. Recommendations for Dinner?

9 June Mon

Morning - Visit Museum of Science, Boston

Afternoon - Harvard Square and Boston Commons?

10 June Tues

Morning: New England Aquarium and Whale Watch Tours (Boston Harbour Cruises)

Afternoon: Back Bay?

11 June Wed

Rent a car and self-drive to Cape Cod? How far would the drive be? Worthwhile?

12 June Thurs

Check out and drive to Woodbury Premium Outlet.

Thanks for all your advice in advance! :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

You are kind of all over the place and missing some of the things Boston is famous for.

Buy or borrow the book Make Way for Ducklings by McCloskey. Get your daughter familiar with it and then be sure to visit Public Garden (near the Common) and ride the Swan Boats.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Way-Ducklings-Robert-McCloskey/dp/B007ZUX8CK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401447024&sr=8-2&keywords=make+way+for+ducklings

http://swanboats.com/

The Freedom Trail walks you by important parts of US history. Maybe history is not your thing or you think your daughter might get bored ... but don't rule it out completely. Some of the grave stones have interesting carvings, the "behind the scenes tour" at the old north church might be interesting.

And it walks you right by places that may be of interest to non-history buffs: There is Quincy Market which has lots of food options (like a food court but not all chain restaurants) and street performers to keep your daughter interested. And then there is the North End. That is Boston's version of Little Italy with restaurants and bakeries galore. Between Quincy Market and the North End is the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Plantings, art, water sprays to play in and a carousel.

You know you daughter, but at age 6, the Children's Museum may be more fun for her than the Museum of Science.

In the back bay, stroll down Marlborough Street or the middle of Commonwealth Ave (it is a park) and see the pretty homes. If you can, go inside Trinity Church (there is an admission fee) It is very ornate and some kids love that.

The Cape can be visited as a day trip, it really depends on what you want to see. IMO ... the most "untouched" parts are pretty far put ... near the National Seashore. See the Cape Cod forum for more info.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

You could do a tour of Fenway Park if you like baseball at all and look around the area around the park, it's a great area!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

Whale watches are a minimum of three hours but can take more time; the trip plus the Aquarium visit may be enough to fill that day, but you could also go to Back Bay for dinner.

I hope you mean the Wrentham outlets and not Woodbury Commons, as Woodbury Commons is in New York and that would be a long roundtrip drive.

If you rent a car to go to the Cape, i would stop in Plymouth and visit Plimouth Plantation, which your 6 year old would probably enjoy. It is not that big and you can tour it in a couple hours.

Agree with above poster, with a 6 year old consider switching the Childrens Mseum rather than the MOS.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

Personally, I wouldn't rent a car to drive to the Cape for the day. I am not sure what you will be able to get out of that. There's not much to see unless you enjoy the beach, and driving all that way to spend a couple of hours on the beach isn't my thing. Plus the traffic can be nightmarish.

You are missing one of the premier attractions in Boston, the Freedom Trail. I would strongly suggest that you do that on June 11, instead of the trip to the Cape, especially if this is your first visit to Boston. It is a self-guided walking tour, so if your daughter gets tired, you can stop along the way as mentioned at Quincy Market for some food and watching the street performers, or you can cut it short and just walk part of it, if she's not up to the entire thing. But, it will bring you past most of Boston's big historical areas, and you will see the best of the city while doing it.

As mentioned, I also think for a 6 year old, the Children's Museum might possibly be better than the Museum of Science, unless your daughter is very much into science.

On Monday, I might suggest that you try this:

From your hotel in the South End (is it the Chandler Inn?), walk over to Commonwealth Avenue. I'll assume you are starting at Dartmouth St. Walk down the Commonwealth Ave. Mall to Boston Public Garden. Walk across the Public Garden, making sure to stop by the Make Way for Ducklings statue. You can also stop here and take a Swan Boat ride on the lagoon, which I think your daughter would love.

Continue walking down Charles St., admiring the antique stores and boutiques and general quaintness. Turn right on Chestnut St. and walk up to W. Cedar. Turn left on W. Cedar and then right turn on Acorn St. (very quaint) then a left turn on Willow St. Cross over Mt. Vernon St. and enter Louisburg Sq. where you can admire all the homes of the 1%, including Secretary of State John Kerry. At the end of Louisburg, take a left on Pinckney St. back to Charles St. Make a right on Charles St. and walk along until you get to the Red Line at Charles Circle. From there, you can take the Red Line to Harvard Sq. and continue exploring there.

http://swanboats.com/

Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
321 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

Thank you all so much for chipping in with your input on my itinerary! I shall rework them and put the Freedom Trail back in for 11 June. It was in our original plan but we replaced it with Cape Cod thinking our daughter might not be keen in monuments. But these are very helpful trip planning tips which we appreciate.

6. Re: Boston in 4 nights - please help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16