We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Station help with timing

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
North Station help with timing

Hi all -

Coming up to my Boston trip next week (yay!) and trying to map out my day getting to Salem. I am planning to take the T from Copley Station to North station so I can take the 8:25 or 8:35 am Newbury Rockport train into Salem.

My question is if I take the 8:06 train to North Station that should arrive @ 8:15 is that cutting it too close to hop on the 8:25 or 8:35 Newbury/Rockport train into Salem? I plan on purchasing my ticket with the MBTA app before I get there for what it is worth....

Thanks for your help!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: North Station help with timing

Certainly too close for the 8:25. Why don't you give yourself an extra 10 minutes? Besides, subways are not so exacting that you can schedule to the minute.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 00:28
L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Station help with timing

Thanks for the reply. I guess, to make my question more clear, is how long does it take once you exit the train at North Station to get on the Newbury/Rockport train?

Also, how simple is it to know where to go?

I live in L.A. and I am not that used to using public transport (although I love it and WISH ours was more usable) so it is NOT 2nd nature to me.

Thanks for your help.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North Station help with timing

5 or 10 minutes. But you're ignoring that there are many other variables in making this type of trip. It is NOT a to the minute plan. You have to build in buffers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Station help with timing

I'd get to Copley by 7:45. The subway will be crowded (and possibly slow) because it's rush hour.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,909 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Station help with timing

I agree 7:45 is doable to make your train.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Station help with timing

Great. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,009 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Station help with timing

You will also want to purchase your commuter rail ticket before you get on the train to avoid a surcharge. The $18/7 day pass does not cover commuter rail.

People just sort of "show up" for the subway ... other than the first and last train, Times Don't matter. On commuter rail, time tables DO matter.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Station help with timing

I'm a little OCD and already purchased my ticket using the MBTA app on my phone! :-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Station help with timing

Signs at North Station are pretty clear as to which train to board, etc.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Station help with timing

You will find the track number of your train posted on the big board but don't be afraid to ask if the train you are boarding goes to Salem. Newbies take the trains all the time.