We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it???

Allentown, Pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it???

So if you had the choice of staying at the Intercontinental or a Holiday Express in Cambridge what would you pick??? We are using Holiday Inn points....but will have to pay a little to have enough for the IC. So IC would be addtional $40, pls parking. HIE would include the breakfast, but we would have to take the T to get into town. What would be the pros and cons of each location...ugh, I hate making these choices. We are a family 0f 4 (two teens) this is their first trip to Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it???

Ok, you don't need a car in Boston. If you are here for st least 3 days you can "store it" for $15/day at the gov't center garage. Pre-purchase on their website; no in/out priviliges

So the question is "should I take the IC for $55 per day? I would. Waterfront location; short walk to North End, Quincy Market and transportation. IMHO ... Much more "cushy" vacation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it???

Parking is 35 plus for the inty. Personally I'd stay at the inty but the breakfast offer at the holiday inn is luring. You'll be taking the t at the inty too.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it???

Agreed, definitely the Intercontinental, if your budget can accommodate the extra $55 per night. It is more luxurious, great waterfront location, has a spa! Yes, the HI includes breakfast, but you can grab a coffee and a bagel anywhere for pretty cheap. I think I read somewhere that parking at the HI Cambridge is free? That is a plus, especially on a budget, but forgot gives good advice where to store your car cheaply during your visit.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 17:16
Allentown, Pa
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it???

Thanks...leaning towards IC. Its just 2 nights in route to Maine. How far of a walk is Quincy Market and others attractions?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it???

Quincy Market is about a ten-minute walk. Google Maps will tell you where all the attractions are and how far they are from the InterContinental or any other location.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it???

Intercontinental is the way to go you are not that far from the North End aka Little Italy plenty of great Italian restaurants.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth it???

You're not comparing like with like. The IC is a much superior product so if both are affordable, definitely go with the IC.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth it???

If the Intercontinental is even in your consideration, you should stay there and not look back. It will be memorable, especially because of its wonderful location. Advisors here would like to be able to say that every stay will be memorable. But the Holiday Inn is not only in a less interesting place, it's a ways out of position for a first visit. Might as well be staying any(plain)where. For breakfast, if you don't find anything closer, you'll surely find it in Quincy Market.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth it???

Would breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express include free donuts?

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth it???

mmmdonuts!