We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

Hi,

We have identified a bunch of things we would like to do in Boston. But we have only 2.5 days effectively. We are reaching on 4th morning (Friday) and departing on 6th (Sunday) evening.

Have made this list below, but I am not sure if a) they are all doable within the duration b) if there are any must sees that I have missed out & c) if there are any not so good places that I have included. Request your guidance in helping me plan for the 3 day weekend.

- MIT/Harvard/Harvard square

- Prudential tower

- Quincy Market, Waterfront

- Esplanade at Charles river, and July 4 fireworks there

- Charles st, Cheers pub (if u've watched the show), Boston commons

- Freedom trail

- TD Garden/Fenway

- Duck tour

- Whale watching in Cape Ann/Gloucester

- Literary tours to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau's place/Walden Pond

- Cape Cod

- Newport/Rhode Island

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

The last 4 things son your list are tricky to do in a time-efficient manner without a car.

You could take a ferry to Provincetown at the very tip of Cape Cod, but that is only one little part of the Cape.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

I agree. Scratch out the last 4 and everything is doable.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

You don't really have a lot of time so I think you would be better off spending all your time in Boston and Cambridge rather than taking day trip(s). You could take a whale watch out of Boston rather than Gloucester. These are offered by the New England Aquarium.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

As an alternative (though more limited) to literary tours in Concord, you could visit Longfellow House in Cambridge. As the house also served as Washington's headquarters in Boston, it would also provide a little early US history experience. I was going to suggest a visit to the Boston Public Library, but I believe it is closed all weekend because of the holiday.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,170 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

Agreed, you don't have time in 2.5 days to see the last four destinations on your list. Also, unless you are going to a sport event or concert or really want to see the Sports Museum there, I would cross off the TD Garden. If no event is scheduled, it is just a lot of commuters rushing in and out of North Station, which is on the ground floor.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 21:12
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

Thank you BooKat, Route128North, Alan, forgotmypword. Didn't expect to see such a quick response. Thanks a ton.

7. Re: Boston - July 4-6 - Need help on what to leave out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:17