We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants by ferry?

Hi. We fly into Boston and plan to take bay state ferry to ptown but have close to 2 hour gap to eat lunch. Trying to see if best to eat at airport and then go or if there are places nearby the ferry. Would prefer by the ferry and water view.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

There are plenty of choices for you to eat in the Seaport area. Definitely head in that direction rather than hanging at the airport. For casual - Yankee Lobster or James Hook are two good choices.

Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

Great. A much better option. Appreciate it.

Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

Just looked at both. For James hook - no alcohol. Not a requirement but can you buy a bottle of beer at a nearby market to drink with lunch?

Do we take water taxi from airport to the seaport?

Is it walking distance to ferry from these places? We will have luggage/small roller bags.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

No, you can't buy a beer at a market and have it with lunch at James Hook. They don't allow BYOB. You could also try the Barking Crab which has a full bar. It is a step below Hook quality-wise, more like a bar that also has food.

You could take a water taxi, or you can take the Silver Line for free from the airport to the Court House stop which is right in front of Barking Crab. You'll still be easy walking distance to the ferry (they're on the same street).

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

I like to have my first meal on my vacation at Legal Seafood or Legal's Test Kitchen, both are in walking distance from the ferry landing. Typically I stop at the BayState's ticket counter first, leave my luggae there and then walk the few blocks to either restaurant. BTW, my last meal at the end of my vacation is at Legal in Terminal C.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

There is a three story Legal's down near the ferry. You could eat on the casual first floor or on the roof deck (limited menu). Sam's is also nearby and has a huge deck overlooking the water.

Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

Thank you for the advice. We ended up at legal. Short distance from bay state ferry and right on the water. Had the best Caesar with shrimp salad, fries and cole slaw. Even then Sam Adams beer - a specialty type was the best. Perfect day. Only regret was not allowing more time to explore Boston.

Took water taxi from airport - a bit of a mix up since I thought we were on the bus that takes you directly to ferry - I asked to confirm at airport information Route 66 they said but that requires a transfer to water taxi so not as cheap for two people as silver line bus. $10 vs $2 but must admit very cool and scenic across harbor although we would see skyline from ferry as well.

Also on return, tons of unlicensed cabs trying to get us to airport - some just regular citizens so we opted for water taxi again.

Also ate at legal at The airport - this time also did steamed clams - very good.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

Thanks for reporting back!

9. Re: Restaurants by ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16