We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

The plan is to spend 3 days in Boston and drive up to NH to visit friends for 2 days. Will drive back down towards Washington DC, but wondered about seeing the Cape Cod area. Can we see Cape Cod in day or is it advisable to stay overnight?

I have been investigating and see that quite a few hotels are showing "not available for dates given". Be unfamiliar with the eastern states, do we need to book now ? We can see that hotel prices are averaging $200-$250 p/night. If we do decide on a Local Person giving us a Tour, is that something that needs to be booked now?

As for hotels, we're hearing good things about the Kendall House in Cambridge. Is close to transportation. Lastly, we want to see a game on the 9th Sept at Fenway. Which should we choose - Stub Hub or chance it on game day with the scalpers.?

Thanks, Trip Advisiors.... always listen to your advice!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

Really no point in going to the Cape for a day. What are you trying to accomplish? A day on the Atlantic? Plenty of places you can see the ocean without going to the Cape. Cape is nice though.

It wouldn't hurt to make cancellable reservations now. No idea what this has to do with "eastern states". Do hotels in the "western states" have infinite capacity?

By Sept. 9th they will be paying people to watch games at Fenway. Sox tickets have not been a tough get for a number of years now but the myth persists.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

I'd skip the cape for just the day. You may not be able to get a reservation for just one night anyway if it's a weekend. I'd buy the tickets at the ticket office or on stub hub. I wouldn't try my luck with a scalper.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

September 9th is Pedro Martinez bobblehead night. When I saw that I almost bought tickets on the red sox website but I'll wait for the prices to come down.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 16:11
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

I agree I skip the Cape and enjoy Boston instead so much to do and see and as for Red Sox tickets go to Stub Hub don't buy tickets from scalpers because its illegal and the tickets could be fakes.

vancouver
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

Thomas G. Winchester - Do hotels in "western states" have infinite capacity? - Well, YES! At that time of year the space is QUITE available..... so thus the question !! As for "what are you trying to accomplish" and Cape Cod.... This is a trip we won't likely be taking again and we'd just like to SEE IT !! In our 70s and don't have a lot of trips left in us! Thx anyway.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

If Cape Cod is on your bucket list - sure, then go for it. You might want to just drive to Marconi Beach which besides its historical significance is I think where they used do to live bombing demonstrations on Sundays in the 50s.

nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/marconi-beach.htm

I know for a fact that there is not infinite hotel capacity in Lusk, Wyoming, for example. :-)

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

You can also take a ferry from Boston to spend the day in Provincetown.

bostonharborcruises.com/provincetown-ferry/…

Milton...
Level Contributor
31 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

Summer and fall (through foliage season) tend to be busy and expensive. That said, if you want to enjoy the Cape, at least one overnight will save you the time shuttling back & forth to Boston (unless all you want is a short, cursory visit). If you travel all the way out to the outer Cape, you can be driving a lot if you want to do it all in one day. An easily cancelled reservation is not a bad idea.

If you like scenery , consider taking rte 6A (Old King's Highway). .. Google for more information. This will be a slower moving, meandering ride past fields, salt marshes, quaint villages, antique stores and artist studios. You can rejoin rte 6 in Orleans and hit the National Seashore from there. Chatham is a nice diversion once you get to "the Elbow". If you need to make time, you can always take the Mid-Cape Highway back, but some of the back roads will give you the best views of the Cape.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

For a day trip to the Cape, I'd suggest the ferry from Boston to P-Town. Rent some bicycles and you can go to the National Seashore from there easily. It's a nice day trip to give you a taste of the Cape.

vancouver
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip- Seattle to Boston - Sept 8-12 - Cape Cod or ???

Thanks everyone. It's all quite helpful. Trip advisor is Awesome!