We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need input on Itinerary

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Need input on Itinerary

We will be in Boston the last week of July. Meeting up with friends who used to live there for 4 days. We will be seeing Concord, Freedom Trail Minuteman Park, North end and a lot of the city things with them. My question is what to do the 2 days before they get there. Should we go to Martha's Vineyard, Newport or Cape Cod? Is there a choice that would not require a car? I see that there are trains and ferries that visit some of the resort towns. Which would you recommend? Also need suggestions on B & B's or other places to stay. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need input on Itinerary

You could easily take the Peter Pan bus line from Boston to the Steamship Authority ferry dock in Woods Hole for a visit to Martha's Vineyard. You would not need a car on the Island as there is good public transportation and you can also rent bikes (or a car) if you are inclined. (You really need a car on Cape Cod). Oak Bluffs is a well-located Vineyard town with lots going on & you can walk to just about everything including the beach. Here on TA, Oak Bluffs Inn is the top-rated b&b and gets very good reviews.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 02:48
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need input on Itinerary

You could also take the commuter rail or ferry to Salem for a day trip without a car.

Re: where to stay in Boston, what is your nightly hotel budget?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need input on Itinerary

"Meeting up with friends who used to live there for 4 days."

Your friends lived there for 4 days? Or you have 4 days with your friends in BOS?

Salem day trip woudl be fun. I really enjoyed it when I went a few years ago.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need input on Itinerary

Kendrick -

Thanks for your suggestions. I think we will rent a car and go directly to Newport. I will try to get a B&B there. If not, the Hyatt has a good rate and looks very nice. We will probably opt for Cape Cod over Martha's Vinyard because the drive is half the distance. Any suggestions for lodging on the Cape or in Newport?

BooKat & KimBux - Salem is on the list for a day trip with our friends. Thanks!

5. Re: Need input on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16