We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Sutherland Shire...
3 posts
Save Topic
B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

I am Marie Owen from Australia. I will be in Boston for 7 nights 29/07/2014 to 05/08/2014 and am looking for a cheap budget B&B or Hotel near to NEHGS at 99 Newbury Street. I do not know Boston & need to be within walking distance to NEHGS as I am only going to do family history research. I look up hotels and B&B's but have no idea where they are. Could you please advise me urgently. My e-mail is owenmj21@yahoo.com.au

Very grateful for any help, just looking for a single room with en-suite & breakfast if possible.

Many thanks Marie

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Boston is small and compact and easy to navigate via subway and walking. By insisting on being very close ti that location you will severely limit your options. What is your preferred budget per night?

Sutherland Shire...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

I do not want to spend any more than US$1,000 including taxes for the 7 nights. I am on a pension and only need a small room with an en-suite & breakfast if possible. I am 88 so would not want any more than a 2km walk approx. Only going to do family history research. I appreciate your help. Thanks Marie

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

There's the Newbury Street Guest House:

http://www.newburyguesthouse.com/

There's the College Club of Boston:

http://thecollegeclubofboston.com/

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Your budget is very low for that date range. You could easily spend double that for what you are seeking.

One idea would be to look into AirBnb.com for a room in someone's apartment.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Your budget is difficult for Boston anytime but especially during our college commencement season. If you could come earlier in April you might get a better rate. I think that the ideal place for you would be the College Club of Boston Bed and Breakfast. But even their single room with shared bath are over your budget. Would you, by any chance belong to a club that might have a reciprocal agreement with this group? Or perhaps you could negotate a lower rate for a 7 night stay. It does include breakfast and tea or coffee is available all day.

http://thecollegeclubofboston.com/

This would be a two tenth of a mile (0.32 KM) walk on flat wide sidewalks from NEHGS. I would also check to see if there are any discounts for visiting scholars available through NEHGS. You may also want to include the resources of the nearby Boston Public Library and the Boston Athenaeum on your research.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:12
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Penny the dates confused me for a minute too. It is not college commencement season. Dates are July 29 -August 5. In US notation 07/29/14 - 08/05/14

But it is a bit of a tight budget. The suggestions given are good

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

On a quick look I'm not finding a hotel in your price range but on the NEHGS website, I see that on their Accommodation page listing area hotels and inns that they list a condo for rent that is owned by one of their NEHGS members.

Unfortunately, it looks like that condo is already rented out for your dates, but it might be worth calling or emailing the NEHGS and explaining your trip to them. I'm guessing that it's not everyday that they have an 88-year-old lady coming all the way from Australia to spend a week doing family history research. Maybe they know of other members who have condos or apartments to rent that aren't listed on their website or perhaps they have contacts at a local hotel that could work something out. Granted, it is a longshot but there is absolutely nothing to lose by trying it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

I plugged in your dates in Lastminutetravel.com and they are showing 3.5 star Back Bay hotel for $151. I know from the photos that it is the Park Plaza. It's over your budget, especially when taxes are factored in, but it's a good value and you are not going to do much better than that. The location is good for you, too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Forgotmypword, Thanks for catching that mistake on my part. I saw 5/8 and didn't read on. The College club also has an elevator so no stairs to climb as in some other B & Bs in the area.

Penny

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B or Hotel in Boston near Newbury Street

Have you looked at the budget B and B's on their accommodation page? www.americanancestors.org/accommodations/

There are two on Beacon Street in Brookline. The trolley runs above ground there and will take you to Copley Square where you can walk to the NEHGS.

But the Park Plaza mentioned above put you about $200 over budget and would be a good choice.