We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you stay?

Our family of four are coming to Boston for the July 4-July 6 weekend just to catch a game at Fenway for my son's 12th birthday present. We will be arriving rather late on July 4th after a week of tournament play in Cooperstown and leaving extremely early on July 6. Since we won't be at the hotel long, we would like to not break the bank on the hotel. Rather, we are planning to get up and do some things within and around Fenway on Saturday. What part of town or where would you suggest we stay? I like to use Hotwire or Last Minute Travel, but I need to know where the best parts of town are to stay. Thanks for your help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you stay?

Back Bay is closest to fenway. It's a nice area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you stay?

Man, I would think for July 4th it's going to cost you an arm and a leg at this point...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you stay?

I agree with back bay but beacon hill, Boston common, quincy market all work too. I checked LMT for you dates and EVERYTHING is "on request"

Hotels.com shows nothing in Boston

It has Marriott Cambridge which is near a subway and Cambridge Hyatt which is a little less convenient. Would you be willing to stay outside the city and drive to a SUBWAY station?

Edited: 23 June 2014, 02:19
Lincolnton, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you stay?

Yes, we are willing to stay outside the city. In fact, I'm going to have to board an airplane around 5-6am on Sunday and then the rest of the family will be leaving for the 14hr drive back to NC so it would be better if it was close to the airport.

What are your thoughts on the Waltham-Newton area? It seems by the reviews and maps that those hotels are close to the airport, yet situated near the major highways making it easy to get into town.

I'm open for any suggestions.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you stay?

Well on a Sunday morning you will easily get to the airport from Newton or Waltham but I wouldn't call it close because on a weekday you would have to fight with commuter traffic. They are not really near the airport ... they are on the other side of Boston ... but they are situated near the Mass Pike (toll road) that leads you through (under) the city to the airport and like I said, on Sunday you shouldn't have traffic worries.

For example, hotel Indigo in Newton is at the end of the Riverside branch of the subway's green line. It is an easy, but slow, commute on the SUBWAY from there to Fenway. The drive to the airport without traffic would run about 25 minutes.

There is no subway in Waltham. You would need to drive to a SUBWAY station or rely on commuter rail which runs frequently than the subway and costs more. The drive to the airport on Sunday morning would be about 30 minutes.

I would look at hotels in East Boston or Revere to be closer to airport. Also, look for deals on 4 star airport hotels. There are only 2, both at the airport. A hilton and a Hyatt. Both are good and others have reported successes with priceline' s name your own price .... of course that is risky with a family of 4, since they only guarantee one bed big enough for two people .... Also, you would need to pay to park

And getting to Fenway would be a bit more time consuming, especially sing the gov't center subway stop is closed for renovations and you cannot transfer directly from the blue to green line right now.

This is a dilemma!!!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 04:15
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you stay?

Oops typo: commuter rail runs LESS frequently than subway. Sorry about that.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you stay?

Booking.com has the Buckminster Hotel for $469 for your stay and the Residence Inn Fenway for $379 for your stay. Both of these hotels are close walking distance to Fenway Park, especially the Buckminster, but the Residence Inn is newer and offers free hot breakfast. These rates are for both nights total, plus taxes. If you want to be near Logan Airport, booking.com also has the Embassy Suites for $251 for your stay. But, since Fenway is your goal, I would GRAB either the Buckminster or the RI and then hop a cab to airport on the 6th.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you stay?

That's a good rate for the Residence Inn. I'd grab it. It's a short walk to Fenway Park, 10 minutes.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you stay?

Hotel Indigo is a good suggestion. Newton and Waltham are nice suburbs. Indigo has easy highway access.

Indigo is next to the Riverside terminal of the D Branch of the Green Line. It'll take you right to the Fenway stop (Kenmore is closer to Fenway Park, but the Fenway stop is cheaper...just follow the crowd) and downtown. It is slow - about 1/2 hour to Fenway and 45 min to Park Street - and will be jammed both before and after the game - making it even slower.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you stay?

bamayankee, not sure what you mean by "the Fenway stop is cheaper." The T has had fixed prices on the subway and trolley lines for quite a few years now. It will be $2.50 (or $2.00 with a Charlie Card) to either Fenway or Kenmore. Actually it will be a little more ($2.65 or $2.10) as the OP is visiting after the fares increase on July 1.